Chapter 27

~Vesper~

Now this is my style.

I finger the soft material of the billowy harems that I promise to make my everyday wear from now on. It hangs loosely at my hips since Faerydae has wider hips than me, but I don't mind. They are in my favorite color of indigo and are beautifully sprinkled with big, bright flowers. It fits well.

I think Faerydae said she sews and embroiders. If she can make me some of these, I will gladly pay her.

I'm about to slip on the slippers, Circe pushes aside the curtain that separates her tent from mine and poses.

"How do I look?!" she sings, "Do I look fabulous? Utterly astonishing? Like a true Roma girl?"

She wears an long, earthy, red skirt that swishes when she moves , a patchy top with a variety of tribal patterns and a black, embroidered vest. A yellow scarf is tied around her head but still allows her chin- length, black hair outside. And a lot of heavy jewelry that you could hear from a mile.

On her ears.

Around her neck.

On her hands.

On her ankles.

"You look... loud."

"Perfect then," Circe says, admiring herself in the full body mirror, "Just the look I aimed for." She then cast her eyes upon me. "Well you look boring."

"Perfect then," I mimic, "Just the look I aimed for."

"Ha ha ha. So funny," she states deadpanned. After circling me and staring with unhidden scrutiny, she suddenly gives an excited yelp and dives into a huge trunk in the corner. And she tosses out anything she doesn't like behind her. A big coin chain misses my head by inches.

"Um... what are you doing?"

She talks in a quick muddle of words. "Getting jewelry. You need jewelry. Necklaces,earrings, rings, bangles that sort of thing? Jingle jangle things?"

"Won't Faerydae mind you digging up in her things like this? It is her stuff after all."

"Nah. She won't mind. She lets me do this all the time." She stands up holding up a piece of jewelry made of coins and shells; looking at it curiously. "Does this look like a necklace or a bracelet?"

Faerydae walks in. "Are you done, Vesper?"

"Yes, thank yo-"

"Oh no she isn't!" Circe cries muffled, digging in the trunk again. "She looks too boring and needs jewelry!"

Faerydae tilts her her head and inspects me. "She looks fine to me."

I like this one.

Circe stomps her foot and gives Faerydae a pointed glare. "No! She doesn't look fine! SHE NEEDS JEWELLERY!

She turns to me, holding up a gold necklace. Immediately, I shrink away. "K-keep that away from me!"

"COME ON!" Circe looks at me queerly. "I finally found the right one!"

I dart away from her into the other corner of the tent. Wrong choice. "I mean it Circe get it away from me!"

"BUT WHY! IT LOOKS SO PRETTY!!" She corners me bringing the cursed piece towards my shaking body.

I pant feeling like a caged animal. "Circe..."

"COME ON! PLEEEEASE!!!"

I give up. I break. "I'm allergic to gold."

"What?"

"I'M ALLERGIC TO GOLD OKAY! I GET RASHES WHEREVER IT TOUCHES ME!"

Faerydae and Circe watch me in silence. Unexpectedly, she smiles and drops it into the trunk. "Why didn't you just  say so?"