Chapter 3

~Vesper~

I have a question.

What do you do when someone compliments you?
Do you smile? Blush like crazy? Laugh and agree?

What if they insult you in that same sentence? Do you cower in shame or give a good come- back? Do you greatly consider beating the stupid out of them? I somehow managed to get myself in that situation.

The boy before me is like that math problem on a test that does not add up. And the teacher forgets to tell you that there's a mistake in it but expects you to get total. And the question is worth like, 20 marks.

Am I supposed to smile that he finds me beautiful...Or slap him for calling me a "Freak of Nature"?

I do both.

"Ow!",he cries rubbing his cheek, "You slapped me!"

"Really?" I slap him again. "I didn't know."

"Stop that!"

"And why should I do that?"

"Because you're hurting me!" He looks at me searchingly. "What is wrong with you!?"

"You sir have a very strange flattery method, that I doubt will get you any girls around here."

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen this boy around here before...

"I think you focused on the wrong part of the compliment, chickadee." He gives a sly smirk as he rubbed his sore cheek. Nicknames already? Who was this character?
Curious as I am, I actually have better things to do rather than talking to dolts that lack manners and coordination. Thanks to him, I actually have something to do.The jacket is soaked and it probably needs about three washings to get rid of any scent. But one thing plagued me...

"You sound like you know me." I look up to see his face, since my head merely reaches his shoulder.

"Well, maybe just a little." The boy drawls, his grey eyes unfocused.

"Are you some creepy stalker?"

"What?! No!"

"Do you work for the C.I.A?"

"I wish."

"Then who are you and how do you know me?", I burst out exasperatedly. My blood boils. But the boy has the audacity to ignore the question. He stares at me. I stare at him. His grey eyes pierce through the air, as if to look into my soul. Why does everyone keep doing​ that?!

I am seriously starting to get uncomfortable. We clearly aren't reaching anywhere.

"Well, " I start, feeling quite awkward, " I guess I'll just go and leave you to yourself."
He says nothing.
"Bye then." I turn from him and start walking back. Darkness will be trickling in a few minutes. Less people are on the streets. I need to get home before my mom starts freaking out again. It would only add punishment. And I don't need that.
I slip off the jacket, laying it on my arm, allowing any drain water to drip.

The boy stands there still, as if in a trance. Maybe he is contemplating whether to beat the crap out of me for insulting his parents. I know it sounds ridiculous; even a bit paranoid, but I have been beaten up for worse. I feel his eyes on me, unshifting. Nervousness rises inside of me.
What is he waiting for?

I start to walk away. Just three steps. Three more steps to being forgotten. To freedom. However, the universe always has other plans.

"Wait!"

I pretend not hear, praying for the ghost of a chance to become reality. My prayers are unheeded as usual.

"Wait up!"