Chapter 33 ♕ Oubliette

Valeriana quietly made her way through the corridors of the family manor, trying to make no noise as she continued. She stared in wonder at the grandness of the decorated walls, but since she already went to the king's palace, she realized it didn't come close to its opulence.

She took a left turn, knowing that particular direction led to north, but she came to a dead end instead. Valeriana made a noise of disappointment before going the way she came and venturing further towards the east.

"I'm really feeling nervous about breaking into someone's home." She told Iolani.

'Is this your first time?'

"Yeah."

'Thou shalt get used to it.'

"I hope." She murmured before speeding up into a jog. "Is there any sign I can use that it's the dungeon?"

'Dungeons are often sealed heavily, Valeriana. If not, they come as trapdoors of some sort.'

"Heavily sealed . . ." She looked around for the door that fitted the description Iolani gave. "Damn building. Why are there so many doors?"

'This is a City Lord's family manor. Its size is its protection itself.'

Valeriana allowed her eyes to search the room with a frustrated grunt, only to see one particular door ajar. A little bit on the curious side, she creeped towards it and slowly peeked inside. She took in the sight of bricked walls with poor lighting in exception for the torches.

"Hey, Iolani. Do you think this way leads to the dungeon?" She asked.

'Perhaps so, I'm not entirely sure. Why do we not check it to see for ourselves?'

The girl nervously made her way inside, leaving the door as it was since she was afraid it would close after she entered. The air inside was thick and had a disgusting scent, not to mention there were cobwebs hanging by the corners. Valeriana grimaced as she made her way further into the room, only to be cornered at a dead end.

"It's another dead end." She told Iolani.

'I can see that.' Replied Tamara's familiar.

Her voice rang throughout the claustrophobic space. She was about to put it in her 'failed' list when several voices called out from below, making her shriek in shock. Her reaction had been understandable for Iolani as the place they entered was creepy enough to seem haunted. Even so, the bird couldn't help but peck Valeriana on the head with her beak to scold her.

"Ow." She winced. "Fine, I'm sorry."

"Is someone out there?" A man's voice asked. "Please let us out!"

A couple more pleas joined in.

Valeriana snatched the nearest torch from the wall to illuminate her surroundings further. She brought it down, lightning the area around the floor to see that she was standing on top of a square spot on the floor filled with rectangles. A hissing rat which the light managed to reach cowered from the exposure and scampered away noisily with small squeaks. Valeriana sighed from the warmth that the fire provided before getting to work. There were handles attached to different spots near the edges, so she knelt to examine it further.

She knocked on it. The sound was hollow, indicating a space within—or under.

'It's an oubliette.' Said Iolani in realization.

"A what?"

'An oubliette.' The bird repeated. 'A prison that can only be opened from the top.'