Days

It had been days since Matty knocked on my door and fell into my life and I've got to say, it has been a great week. We watched movies and told stories and laughed. We walked around the city, shopped at little stores here and there, and avoided the record store in case Kara was still there. It was a fantastic week.

It had also been a few days since the incident with Jake. I hadn't spoken to him since, but that hadn't stopped him from texting me and leaving me voicemails. They had gotten more and more aggressive as the week went on.
The messages started out as him begging me to talk to him and now they were angry recordings of him telling me that I was being ridiculous and stupid for not listening to him.
Matty knew about the messages and told me not to worry.

"If he comes anywhere near you, I'll beat the shit outta him." He would say, but I knew if anything were to happen, Jake would come out on top.

On Saturday night, six days since everything, something I never saw coming happened.

It was around one am and I was up getting a glass of water. I heard something odd, it sounded like someone was trying to jiggle my door knob. I put my glass down and went over, someone was trying to jiggle my doorknob. I looked through the peephole, it was Jake.

"RoOooOosse" he slurred.

Was he drunk? I asked myself. I unlocked the door and opened it. Jake almost fell in as he was leaning on the door, but he caught himself.

"Rose you opened!" he whisper-yelled.

"What do you want?"

"Why? Why did you choose him over me? I've always kept you safe." He mumbled. "He probably does drugs and is not a good person. I'm a good person! I'm a police! I protect people! I protect you!"

"Jake you need to calm down." I put my hands up.

"No! you need to listen to me!"

"Jake go home, it's late and you're drunk."

"I'm not leaving until you listen to me, Rose! And if you won't listen to me, I'm gonna have to take you with me!" He grabbed my wrists and started dragging me down the hall.

"Jake! Stop, let me go." I tried to fight him off but it was no use, he just tightened his grip. "You're hurting me! Let go!"

"Shut up!" He quickly switched his where his hands were, grabbing my arm with one hand and putting his other hand over my mouth. He pushed me in front of him. I tried yanking his hand off my mouth and when that didn't work, I did the only thing I could think of. I bit him.

He yelled out in pain, letting me go. "Bitch" he whispered under his breath, pushing me against the wall. "Would you stop this shit, Rose! I'm fucking protecting you!"

"No you're not! I don't need your protecting. I don't need you!" I yelled. "You're a shithead, douchebag, asshole! Leave me alone!" I tried to stay calm, but it didn't work, I lost it. That was a big mistake. As soon as I finished my yelling, his hand made contact with my face. The sting caught me by surprise and I dropped to my knees. I looked up at him, he looked red with anger and he was breathing heavily. He still reeked of alcohol. He grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet and continued to pull me down the hall. I kept fighting him as he dragged me away.

"Would you st-"

"What the fuck are you doing?" someone yelled from down the hall. Jake turned around and saw Matty. He was in a t-shirt and his boxers and he looked pissed.

"You." Jake grumbled. He let go of my arm and started to walk towards Matty, balling his fists. Matty looked from Jake to me and then back to Jake. He didn't look scared, even though I must have looked terrified. "This is all your fault, you fucker!" Jake yelled, taking a swing at Matty. He ducked, thankfully, and took a swing at Jake hitting him square in the jaw. He hit him hard too. Matty had some advantages over Jake, he was quicker an he was sober.

The fight went by quickly, but I looked away for most of it, I never really like violence. I had to pull Matty off of Jake so he didn't seriously hurt him. Luckily one of my neighbors had woken up and called the police. When the cops arrived I told them everything that happened and that I was fine, I just wanted to go home and sleep. They took Jake and left.

Now it was three A. M. And me and Matty were slowly walking back to my apartment. When we got back, I looked at Matty's hands and wrapped his bloody knuckles. We were silent for what seemed like the longest time.

"Thank you." I finally broke the silence. He didn't answer, he just grabbed me and pulled me into a hug. We stayed like that for a while, our heads in the crooks of each other's necks.

"Are you okay?" he mumbled into my hair.

"Mhm" I mumbled back. He pulled back and looked at my face, wiping tears I hadn't known were there from my face. He thumb lingered on the newly forming bruise on my face.

"I'm sorry I didn't wake up earlier. I could have gotten there faster and stopped him. I'm sorry."

"You stopped him from taking me, that's all that matters."

"I know I'm just-"

"Shut up." I pulled him in for another hug and we just held each other.

"Go to bed, Rose, its late and you've had a long night." He whispered. I just responded by nuzzling my head into his neck more. He ended up wrapping an arm under my legs and an arm behind my shoulders and lifted me up. He carried me into my room and placed my on the bed gently, covering me with my blankets.

"Thank you, Matty."

"You're welcome, Rose. Go to bed." He kissed my forehead and walked out of my room, closing my door. I fell asleep pretty quickly, my sleep was haunted with awful nightmares.

"Goodnight Matty."