What About Now?: 27.

I opened my eyes, flinching when the bright light momentarily blinded me. I tried to adjust to the change from the darkness that had engulfed me from the accident. I rolled my head to the left to see a nurse changing a back of fluids in my arm and she glanced up at me, before looking back down at my arm.

                Then she looked up again, think time blinking. As if surprised to see me awake.

                “H—” My voice was hoarse and I couldn’t speak properly. The nurse seemed to break out of her stare and reached across, fetching me some water. She helped me, by holding the straw to my mouth so I could drink the water in the cup. “Uh, thanks,” I said, letting the cool liquid run down my dry throat.

                “I’ll go get the doctor,” she said, her voice squeaked. I watched her back leave the room and soon she swiftly returned with a doctor.

                “Mr. Clarke.” The doctor said, picking up a clipboard at the edge of my bed. I looked around at my surroundings and found myself in a single room. So I had no idea what ward I was on. And no one here with me. Everything was white. Too white.

                “Yes?” I asked, my voice rasp.

                “Do you know where you are?”

                “The hospital,” I replied.

                The man looked up. “Good,” he said before going back to the clipboard. His white eyebrows furrowing as he deliberated what was in the sheet in front of him. “Now, do you know how long you’ve been out?”

                I tried to push myself up the bed but hissed in pain. “No.” I replied through gritted teeth.

                The man heaved a sigh. “Okay, well, you’ve been out for four days.”

                “What?” I yelped; my eyebrow’s rising. “Why?”

                “You’ve been in a coma, Mr. Clarke.”

                I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Coma? I had been out for four days? If that was the case, and I had sustained serious injuries, where was Hanna? Suddenly my heart beat increased and the doctor – and nurse – looked at me curiously. 

                “Where’s Hanna?”

                “Mr. Clarke, I—”

                “I want to see Hanna—”

                Suddenly the door opened and my mother’s emerald eyes that were forever to be hereditary in our family searched my room, and when they landed on my face, she made a huge sigh of relief. That didn’t stop me from welling up though and I could feel tears threatening to spill.

                “Alex—”

                “He won’t tell me about Hanna. What happened to her? What’s wrong with Hanna?”

                “Alex, p—”

                “No, tell me!” I demanded. “Tel—” my voice broke and I had to cough, my throat literally felt like it was burning. And I was beginning to become tired again. Was the doctor feeding my drugs? Was I just tired because I’d been in a coma for four days?

                My mother rushed over and my doctor put the clipboard back in its place. As my mom poured me a glass of water, the man cleared his throat. “I shall be back to check on you in a couple of hours’ time. See if you need anything. In the meantime, push the button by your bedside and a nurse shall assist you in what you need. Good day.”