What About Now?: 5.

I hadn’t even finished opening the door when the phone rang. I rushed to answer it before whoever they were gave up.

“Hello?”

 “Alex?”

My shoulders sagged. It was only my mother. I could have rung her back later, after I got in and organised. I turned around and placed my books down on the table. “Who else would it be?” I asked. “I’m the only person that lives here.”

“Right, sweetheart. Yes.”

She didn’t say anything else, and I raised an eyebrow as I un-did my tie. “Mom?”

“Yes?”

“What did you ring for?”

“How was your first day—” she asked, suddenly in a new tone; excitement and motherly, “—today? Did you make any friends—”

“I’m —”

“Any enemies? Were any of the teachers nasty to you? Any students swear at you? B—”

“Mom!” I interjected, “one question at a time, please!”

“Sorry, I guess I got a little carried away.”

“A little,” I replied, picking my bag up – that I dropped to pick up the phone – and placing it on the table so I could sort through my things. “My day was good, thank you. I didn’t make any enemies. The department are friendly – which reminds me, I have to go soon because I’ve got lots to do before I have to go out for a meal with them tonight – and no, all of the students refrained from swearing. They’re not even allowed to call me by my primary name.”

“Oh that’s lovely.” Her voice told me that she was hiding something. That she was no longer interested in that.

“Yeah…” I  replied as I unpacked everything from my bag that I wouldn’t need tonight.

“Did you see Hanna?”

It was as if everything I had just said; all of her questions I had just answered didn’t matter. She’d been holding it back for a couple of minutes but that’s what she’d really wanted to ask. I sighed heavily. “Yes.”

“And…?”

“And nothing, mom! She was a little freaked out.”

“Didn’t you tell her beforehand? Yesterday? Last month?”

“Uh…” I felt a moment of panic. My mother didn’t know that two years ago Hanna and I no longer talked. I didn’t want to say anything, that would upset her, but now it was a little inevitable seen so I just said she was there. I should’ve just lied. Damn, okay, think Alex, think!—

“Alex?”

“Um, I wanted it to be a surprise!” I finally replied before picking up the book by my computer desk to pack into my bag. 

There was a pause. My mother was hesitant but then when she spoke again she seemed convinced enough. “Oh wonderful, dear, good idea. I bet she didn’t like that very much though?”

“Why?” I replied, answering her question with another question as I was too preoccupied packing my bag.

“Hanna hates surprises.”

“Yeah..."

“Alex, are you listening.”

I shoved some colouring crayons into my bag. “Not really, mom.”

“Oh.” Her voice sounded genuinely upset.

“I’m sorry. I’m just doing a lot.”

“No, it’s fine, sweetie. I’ll ring you later.”