What About Now?: 6.

“What do you want to watch?”

    “St. Trinians!”

    “Transformers!”

    “No way. I’m not watching an action film.”

    “The Negotiator.”

    “The Notebook.”

    “I’m not watching the notebook,” I replied, placing the popcorn on the table. “No way.”

    “Well I’m not watching an action film.” Ashlye huffed.

    “I’m not watching a girl film!” Theo retorted.

    “Fine.” I chuckled at the pair. “I’ll pick a film.” I promised that for tonight I would have the children. Angie had something to do so I was being a good neighbour and letting her have some freedom whilst I offered to babysit the kids.

     “It better be something good.” The red head grumbled.

      “It will be,” I reassured Ashlye. “Now, I don’t think either of you would have heard of it but there’s a film called ‘The Blind Side’. We’re going to watch it. It might change your perspective on life.”

     “What’s it about?”

     “A teenage boy who's homeless and a wealthy family,” I replied. “But it’s not a documentary. It’s a brilliant film and we’re going to watch it.”

     Without another word I searched for the DVD in the rack and put it on. The children stopped talking straight away, but Ashlye’s bottom lip quivered from time to time.

     “I’d hate to be homeless.”

    I kissed the girls forehead as she leaned on my shoulder, getting really into the film. “Me too, darling.”

     The phone rang. Ashlye rolled her eyes and I sent her an apologetic look before rushing up to answer the phone. “Hello? Mom, I’m kind of in the middle of something—”

     “It’s not your mother.” The tone was feminine. It sounded like she was trying to be flat but she failed at a monotone because of the hint of amusement.

      I closed the door of the living room and headed up the stairs. “I assumed you wouldn’t still have my number, Hanna.”

      “I didn’t.”

      My smile dropped, but I didn’t show it in my voice. “I see.”

     “My mother gave it to me.” There was some mumbling in the background, a deep sigh, a cough and someone clicking their tongue. “She says hi, also.”

     “It’s good to see you at college, Hanna.”

     “No, bye, mom.” I heard a door close and then Hanna scoffed. I assumed that she was now in a separate room. “Look this is how it’s going to work.” She said bitterly. “You ask questions, if I know the answer – I’ll answer. That’s it. I don’t sit with you again at Lunch, I don’t call you Alex and if I get so much as one detention with you then I’ll transfer out of your class.”

     I smiled, not at her demands, but how she was willing to actually stay in the class. “Deal.”

     There was some more background noise and she seemed to shout at someone before turning back and whispering into the receiver, “Just forget about me.”

     “I will,” I replied. “Every day.” Hanna cleared her throat but didn’t say anything. “I have to forget about you every day,” I lowered my voice, “because when I wake up you’re the first thing I remember.”