Chapter 6- RACHEL

Rachel

 Nothing clears my head better than a long run, and after today—a wasted day stuck in the doctor’s office while they ran tests on mama for hours on end, I could use an extra-long one. I love the way the gravel crunches under my feet, every sound feels like a confirmation of progress, and in my stagnant life, I’ll take any feeling of forward movement I can get. The tracks between Rainy and Crawford are well traveled by all of us.

I slow down my pace when I see Eamon’s dad’s pickup truck come into view. He still hasn’t replaced the one at the bottom of the lake. Probably best that way. He’s got enough respect for his daddy’s things that he’ll at least take care of himself while driving it—if only to protect the truck. I was hoping to find him out here tonight. I remembered something Delia told me a while back, another place we might look for Tobin.

 Eamon’s sitting on the tailgate, his legs hanging down, and the patterns of the sun through the trees cast across his features. My breath catches at how familiar he feels, but also with how much he’s changed as we’ve gotten older.

I wipe my face, but sweat still drips down. I’d be dripping even if I hadn’t run because this spring has been even hotter than normal. As I walk closer, trying to slow my breathing, I see Eamon’s holding something in his hand. He flicks his thumb and a coin catches the light before hitting the ground.

As make another swipe of my forehead, Eamon’s eyes catch mine. He gives me a brief nod and picks a piece of change from his hand.

“I’ve been meaning to call,” I say biting my lip, wondering what we are. If anything between us is different. If I should have even thought about calling.

“Yeah?” He glances at me briefly before tossing another coin.

“To thank you for Carl’s. I was with Mom all day, and I probably would have slept through everything if you hadn’t helped me out.” Every test they did to see if she’s feeling any more in her legs and feet than she has for the past few years. She isn’t.

“It’s fine.” His tone is a bit gruff, so I’m thinking he doesn’t want me to make a big deal even though for me, it was huge.

“What are you doing with the coins?” I ask, as I watch him flick another dime onto the track.

“My grandfather always said if a train ran over your coin, it was good luck.” There’s a twinge of exhaustion to his voice that pricks at me.

“And what do you need any luck for, Eamon LeJeune? I thought everything you wanted fell into your lap.” My words slip out too quickly and I watch his smirk fade to a grimace.  He rights himself quickly and tosses another coin.

“Maybe it’s not luck I’m looking for.” He sighs, staring at the money scattered on the ground. “Maybe it’s more trying to figure out what my destiny is.”

“That’s deep, LeJeune,” I say, pausing just shy of the edge of his truck. “How many beers have you had?”

“Funny,” Eamon says.

“What’s the difference, really? Don’t we all just end up with what we’re going to get and call it luck if it happens to be good?” I ask. I watch the way his vein pulses in his throat. This is not the boy I grew up with. He’s a man. With needs and secrets I know nothing about.  “I mean, fate, destiny, chance, luck, they’re all the same, right?”

“Nope.” He shakes his head. “Fate, that’s like how everything happens for a reason, you know? Destiny, that’s the path that you’re supposed to take. No matter what you or I do, we’re on a single road somewhere,” Eamon says. His eyes flicker over me. “Chance, is a random occurrence—like you being out here tonight at the same time as me. And luck, well, I’m just hoping to God I’m lucky enough that you’re going to let me kiss you again.”