Chapter 25

“Alright brat, you’ve said hello. Now go run along and research demons or whatever it is you’re into at the moment,” Ruth said, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning back in her kitchen chair.

            Anna’s chin rose as she turned to glare at her sister. “You’re not the boss of me. And I’m researching spirits, not demons, cretin.”

            Thalia shoved her chair back as she half stood, hands held up to stop the impending argument. She didn’t think Anna and Ruth’s parents would appreciate coming home and finding that their newly remodeled kitchen had become the scene of another shouting match between their daughters. Especially since the last one hand ended with a vase shattering after it fell of the table, due to the stamping of the sisters’ feet. Or at least, that’s what everyone guessed had happened. There wasn’t another logical explanation. “I actually wanted to talk to Anna, too.”

            Ruth wrinkled her nose. “Why?”

            Anna smirked. “It is because my intellect far outstrips yours.”

            “Please, don’t you two,” Thalia said.

            The siblings’ eyes swept over her, both noting the look of concern creasing Thalia’s face. Anna sighed and Ruth shrugged. “Fine,” they chorused.

            Smiling, Thalia dropped back into her chair. “Thank you.”

            “What do you want to talk to me about?” Anna asked.

            “You said you’ve been researching ghosts?”

            The girl nodded, tendrils of her cinnamon coloured hair falling out from under her headband. “I prefer to use the term spirits since it encompasses all forms of otherworldly manifestations, but, yes. I have been looking into them. Are you interested?”

            “Yes. There’s something I was wondering if you’d come across or if you could look into for me, as a favour.”

            Ruth frowned as Anna pursed her lips in thought. “What are you looking for?”

            “Information on a group of occult researchers. They claim their group’s been around for centuries. They’re mostly interested in psychic powers it looks like, but they’re also looking into the rumours of a ghos-spirit that attaches itself to young men and helps them. If you have or can find any information on either the group or the spirit, I would really appreciate it.”

            Rolling her eyes, Ruth said “You know he’s going to be mad if he finds out you’re looking into this kind of stuff. You know how he gets when he thinks you’re poking around something risky.”

            “I’m worried about him. These people could be really dangerous.”

            “They’re just nuts. If he ignores them, eventually they’ll get bored and go away.”

            “They were able to get to him at school. What if they try something like kidnapping him for testing or to force him to tell them about C-the spirit? It’s not safe.”

            Anna frowned, her eyes still on Thalia. “Who are you talking about? And have you come into contact with this group?”

            Thalia shook her head. “It’s not us. It’s Will. They think a spirit’s attached itself to him and are investigating him. They’ve even been following him around. I don’t like how easily they’re able to gain access to the school, so I’m worried. I’m hoping you can help me find out if they’re dangerous or not and if there’s some way to make them leave.”

           “You’re too overprotective of Liam. He’s not a girly-looking shrimp anymore. Heck, my money’s on him if it comes to a fight with these people. You know how good a fighter he is,” Ruth said.

            “He’s still my cousin. Of course I’m going to worry about him and try to ensure his safety. And these people sound like no matter what, they’re going to be trouble of some sort.”

            For a few moments, no one said anything. Ruth was frowning as she thought over her friend’s words and Anna was still staring at Thalia. Finally the youngest girl nodded. “I’ll see what I can dig up,” she promised. “If there’s information archived anywhere online, I’m sure I’ll find it. There’s also the library. It dovetails nicely into my own research. I’m sure I’ll be able to make use of anything I find out. Would you prefer that I e-mail you the results, hand you written notes or tell you in person?”

            “Whichever you think is best,” Thalia replied, smiling. “Thank you, Anna. I feel a lot better knowing that you’re looking into it for me. I’m going to research as well, but you’re definitely the best at research.”

            Anna’s cheeks pinked and she returned the smile. “For you, I’m happy to do my utmost.”

            Ruth snorted. “I swear you’re the only one the brat likes, Thalia. Anyway, if that’s settled, then Jo can go run along and we can continue our discussion. In private.”

            “You can’t kick me out of the kitchen. It’s a public room,” Anna retorted, glaring at her sister.

            Thalia shook her head as she saw the expression that took over her friend’s face. It seemed that short of separating them, an argument was going to happen. She stood again, the scrape of her chair against the hardwood floor drawing the siblings’ gazes. “If you two are going to yell at each other, then I’m leaving. I don’t want to get caught in another of your fights. Thanks for the help, Anna and I’ll see you at school tomorrow, Ruth.”

            Two mouths fell open as she turned and walked quickly to the front door, pausing only long enough to pick up her purse. She wondered if this would get them to be nicer to each other. Hearing the increasing volume from behind her, she sighed. She could only imagine what Colt would have said had she allowed him to come with her.