Chapter 5

Seeing the tremor run through Thalia’s body made Colt frown. He hadn’t thought it was that cool inside, but then again, he really didn’t notice the temperature any more. He glanced towards the family room, his eyes stopping on the thick brown blanket that had been folded over one arm of the couch. He considered it for a moment then nodded. He’d rested enough that he shouldn’t have any problem.

            He focused his attention on the blanket, using the particular twist of concentration that allowed him to access the awakened part of his mind. He narrowed his eyes as he pictured the blanket doing exactly what he wanted, feeling the familiar heat begin building behind his eyes. A moment later, the fabric began rising. A second later, he had it slowly, and wobblingly, floating into the kitchen.

            Thalia had her eyes locked onto her folded hands as she fought her way through her fear using the logic of her situation. Colt had only shown anger in reference to unfaithfulness. Being without a boyfriend left her safe from whatever punishment he normally dealt out to those who crossed him. The feeling of something dropping across her shoulders had her jerking her head up to stare at the chair. “Colt?” she whispered.

            “You were shivering. You need to take care. Summer chills lead to the worst sicknesses.”

            She pulled it closer to herself. “Thanks.”

            He grinned. “No problem. I didn’t even have to get up.”

          “What do you mean you didn’t have to get up? How did you bring it over here then?” Thalia asked, frowning.

            “With my mind.”

            “That’s not an answer.”

            “Yes it is,” he replied. Then seeing her frown deepen, he sighed. “I’m awakened is all.”

            “Awakened?”

            He nodded. Then remembered again. “Yes. It was common enough when I still had a body. You go through the proper rites and ceremonies and it allows you to access other parts of your brain. The other parts allow you to do things beyond a normal human’s abilities. Because I’m awakened, I’ve been able to interact with the physical world despite lacking a body. I’m lucky that my talents have always run to moving things with my mind.”

            She blinked a few times as she processed this. “So…you can use telekinesis?”

            “Yes! That’s what Gregory called it. He was very excited about it and was truly disappointed when he found he couldn’t go through the same process.”

            “Why? And who’s Gregory?”

            “One of my old friends. He couldn’t because he was sworn to the Christian God. Awakening doesn’t work on those sworn to deities and no god will accept an awakened as a true worshipper. Conflict of interest or something. It’s only a pity that awakening doesn’t give you power on par with the magic you can get from serving a god.”

            “Wait,” Thalia said, her brain slow to process the sheer volume of information that was being thrown at it. “Telekinesis? Is that how you kept me from moving?”

            Colt didn’t like the look in her eyes, something about it reminding him of one of his last arguments with Liese. “Yes,” he replied, drawing the sound out. “I didn’t want you finding me. Most of the time I’ve ended up sealed, it was a woman who called the priest in. I was worried you’d do the same.”

            She frowned again, accepting his explanation as her brain finally got completely caught up. “Did you say magic? You get magic from serving a god? Then how come everyone religious isn’t hurling fire or whatever about?”

            He relaxed as her eyes lost their lightning edge. “Magic is bestowed upon people by a deity. Someone who is sworn to them and who has true faith in them. At least that’s been my experience with it. And it’s the choice of the god who and what kind of magic they give out. The individual also has to have the capability for it, same as with awakening. The difference being that magic is the choice of your god while awakening you have no choice what you get.”

            Thalia stared at the chair in front of her, wishing she could see Colt and judge the truth of his words based on his expressions. He sounded sincere, but this was the same person who’d been sneaking into her room at night. “So,” she said, deciding not to push herself any further. She was getting the faint light-headedness she’ had before she’d ended up completely overwhelmed. “What were you going to do today?”

            “Read probably. Why? What are you plans?”

            She reached up and began fiddling with one star-shaped earring. “I was going to watch a movie after breakfast. You’re welcome to join me if you like.”

            “Movie?”

            She shook her head, having forgotten that he’d spent a long time trapped in a bottle. He spoke so normally most of the time that she forgot he wasn’t her age. She filed that away as another question to ask him later. “Kind of like a play but on the TV.”

            “Ah! The magic people box.”

             A giggle escaped her lips before she knew what was happening. “Magic people box?”

            “That’s what it seems like,” he said, shrugging.

            “C’mon. I’ll teach you how to work it so you can watch it when no one’s around,” she said, smiling as she stood. There was something reassuring in knowing he was as confused by everyday modern objects as she was about his magic talk.