Chapter 44

Liam stretched his head one way, then the other, trying to relieve the strain there as he walked. Spending all shift weeding and raking the bunkers had left his shoulders and neck sorer than he’d thought they would be. And sweatier. He flapped his regulation golf shirt, glad that the bike path he was on wound through areas with a lot of trees. Also that it ran beside and, in some places, over the creek, for the next few dozen metres at least. The weather, was doing a good imitation of midsummer when it was still officially spring. At least for another two weeks.

            Still, it was a beautiful day, with a cloudless sky, and now that work was over, he was free to enjoy it. Not that he hadn’t gotten more than enough sun out on the course. Still, he wondered if Thalia was free, and if she’d have any interest in taking a walk. He was pretty sure the ducks he’d seen by the creek a while back were nesting there, and she’d always had a soft spot for animals, especially since her parents wouldn’t let her have any. Not that he blamed them. Being that allergic to cats, dogs, and birds had to suck.

            Then he remembered Colt and made a face. Of course Colt would insist on tagging along, the invisible bastard. Once the Builders were gone, he’d have to see about finding a way to get rid of him. He thought Thalia had mentioned something about him getting trapped in something at one point or another. Maybe Ruth would have some ideas on how to do that. Or better yet, her sister. Anna clearly didn’t like Colt any more than he did. He’d just have to find a way to do it without it pointing to him, or better yet, find a way to get Thalia to stop liking Colt. The last thing he wanted to do was upset her.

            Rustling from in front of him had Liam stopping, eyes on the narrow trail to his left, one mostly used by dirt bikers. He’d nearly been clipped by one of them last week, and wasn’t about to trust their ability to brake.

            What came out of the trees had him glaring. “I thought I told you to leave me alone.”

            The two men said nothing, only moved so they were facing him. He recognized the short one, or rather, the beat-up leather jacket he was wearing. He’d been part of the group that had harassed him the last couple of times they caught him in the open. Crossing his arms over his chest, he turned his darkened gaze on that man. “What do I have to say to you guys for you to get that I’m not interested?”

            “Tell us what you know about the spirit and help us speak with it. That’s all we want,” the other, taller, man said, smiling.

            Colt’s eyes went to him. “I’ve told you over and over. I have nothing to do with any spirit. I don’t know of any other way I can say it so you finally frigging get it. I want you to leave me the hell alone.”

            “We can help you.”

            “I don’t want your help. I don’t want anything to do with you. And how were you helping me when you bugged my goddamn house? You’re invading my privacy, and my family’s, and you’re frigging stalking me! I should get a restraining order against the lot of you. I’d like to see you explain listening devices to the cops.”

            “That was only to protect you. But you’ve made your wishes about that clear enough. We won’t be doing something like that again. You know, if you were to join us, you could easily set the limits of what you’re comfortable with. We’d be happy to meet on your terms.”

            “The only terms I have are you all fucking off and leaving me alone. There is no way, and nothing you can say to me, that will make me want to talk to you. You’re a bunch of creepy-ass, annoying stalkers. I hope you all drop dead.”

            The taller man glanced briefly at his companion, who shrugged, then sighed. “I really wish you’d let us help you. There are many things we could do for you, for your friends, for your family.”

            “And I really wish you’d all fall into a volcano. Doesn’t look like either of us is going to get our wish. Now, get out of my way.”

            He shook his head mournfully. “We could teach you so much, even more than we hope to learn from your and the spirit.”

            “None of it is anything I want to learn. Move,” Liam said, taking a step closer, his hands balled up by his sides.

            The speaking Builder sighed again, but moved off the path, his companion doing the same. Keeping his head high and his back straight, Liam strode past them, resisting the urge to look behind him. He could practically feel their eyes on him as he walked away. He kept his pace even and unhurried until he was certain he was out of sight and out of earshot of them. Then he broke into a run, aiming himself towards Thalia’s house.