Chapter 17

“Thalia, what are you doing?”

            She didn’t turn around, continuing to scroll down through her Google results, sighing at the slowness of the school’s computers. “Researching.”

            Colt’s glare was an almost physical sensation on her back. She assumed he’d already read her search terms, “ancient gods and rituals”, because she could hear what she guessed was annoyance in his voice. “I thought I’d told you not to go looking for information about the god.”

            Thalia shrugged. “You did tell me. I chose not to listen.”

            “I’m certain I also told you how dangerous it could be if the god were to notice. You are throwing yourself into a situation that you may not be able to escape from!”

            She turned around, facing where she guessed he was from his voice and held a finger to her lips. Then she turned back around and whispered “There are other people in the library today. You’ll get noticed if you’re not quiet.”

            His voice sounded tight with some emotion she couldn’t name though he did lower it. “You have no knowledge of how dangerous this could be.”

            “I said I’d help and that means I’m going to help. Besides, you can’t use a computer so everything that’s on the internet is information you don’t have. There could be something useful there.”

            “My inability to use the machines is no excuse for you to put yourself at risk.”

            “It’s been centuries you’ve said. I’m sure we’ll both be fine,” Thalia replied, typing in “ghosts and telekinesis” into the search bar after the eighth page of neo-Pagan groups and myths about the Greek and Roman gods. From what he’d said, Thalia couldn’t imagine that the god belonged to either pantheon.

            She felt Colt’s hand on her wrist, stopping her from clicking on the third link down. “You have no idea what gods can be like. In this time they may be considered less real and unlikely to directly interfere in people’s lives, but I know better. You do not cross gods. And depending on the deity, what you’re doing could be considered exactly that.”

            Thalia’s reply died on her lips when someone thumped down into the chair next to her. She turned to find Will grinning at her as he leaned over to see what was on her computer screen. “What’re you up to?” he asked.

            Her heart pounding at the thought of Colt being discovered, Thalia felt his hand slip off of her as he moved away. Fighting to keep her voice normal, she shrugged. “I’m helping Anna with a project of hers. As much as I’m able to at least.”

            “Ah. The genius. And why is she looking at ghosts and psychic powers?”

            “Why does she research anything?”

            Will chuckled. “Point taken.”

            Glancing at the clock, Thalia frowned. “Shouldn’t you be in class? Third period’s barely started.”

            “I could ask you the same.”

            “They never found a replacement for Mr. Wright, and since it’s so close to the end of the year, they just let us all off on the promise we wouldn’t disturb other classes.”

            “My class had an ISP. Everyone else is in the cafeteria playing cards but there are only so many rounds of Poker I can stand in a day. That’s all we were doing after lunch.”

            She shook her head. “Weren’t you left with a worksheet or something for your independent study period?”

            “Nah. Ms. Patel’s out sick. It happened right after lunch so they couldn’t find a sub in time and she didn’t have time to give us any work.  We’re supposed to be studying but no one, except maybe you, would actually be doing that,” he said smiling at her again. “I’m actually surprised you’re not doing schoolwork. Especially since Ruth isn’t nearby.”

            “She got called into Mrs. Wong’s office because someone slipped some porn magazines into the library and guidance offices’ shelves. I guess the vice-principal thought it was one of her pranks.”

            “You’d think after all their talks with her they’d know Ruthie would never do that. She’d put what looked like porn in but have a kid’s book or something equally ridiculous glued over the pictures to mess with whoever tried to read it.”

            Thalia smiled. “Possibly pages from the Bible to throw the school off her scent.”

            “Nah, she’d burst into flame if she were to actually touch a Bible. If she’d been alive when it was written, there’d be eight deadly sins, and her name and picture would be all you’d see beside the eighth. Or did you forget what she did to the preacher who was passing out booklets to students and praying loudly for those who refused as they left?”

            “I thought handing him leaflets with all the contradictions in the Bible and between the Bible and real world to him was well done. She spent a couple of hours getting them to look legit.”

            The sound of footsteps stopping beside Will had them both turning to look. Will frowned and stood up, leaning forward as the other boy whispered into his ear. Thalia recognized Cody, one of her cousin’s friends. His bright red hair was hard to miss. Sighing, she began logging out of the computer, knowing what the sudden appearance of one of Will’s friends usually meant.

            He turned to her a moment later, his mouth open but Thalia shook her head. “I’m coming along, Will. Just let me run and grab the first aid kit first.”