2⒋

"You awake?" I am startled by the sudden voice breaking through the dense wall between me and reality.

The thickness of the barrier thins when I feel my shoulders behind softly shook, my eyes fluttering open at the sensation. I am met with two red eyes, holding a deep crimson gaze. It isn't a familiar face until the memories start pouring in like a tidal wave, and an instant feeling of dread drowns me.

"Hey, Veracity. Your okay now." He pats my bicep tenderly. "The big bad monsters are gone."

Really? Because, you're still here.

I hold my thoughts in and struggle up against the bark of a tree, the texture rough beneath my grasp. My fingers sport a dull ache and blochy red marks as a result of the irritation caused from pressing them too tightly against my scalp. It did little too numb out the screams.

The dry blood is smeared against the boy's mouth, but this time he brings his tongue out to lick some of the substance away. Also he wipes the back of his palm against his lips. "Sorry you had to see that," he sways towards me, and I notice he is bare. By bare, I mean stark naked. "Thought since you were Veracity you'd be used to death."

"IーI. . .never. . .you. . .you slaughtered them," I gasp out, incapable of forming a coherent sentence. I keep my eyes locked on his face, not daring to trail them down his body. He chuckles when he notices and I blush involuntarily.

"Slaughtered? Ouch." He lazily rubs his neck, crookedly grinning. "I just did what had to be done. The girl and the guy lived to tell the tale, don't worry."

By the girl and the guy he must be referring to Nadia and Dendry. I oddly find myself relieved to hear Dendry's safety. He did try to comfort me, at least I thought so.

"I'm. . .you. . .what are you?" I sputter out, panting feverishly. I hold on to the tree for much needed support.

"I'm an Anthris." He salutes casually, and leans against the tree opposite me. He seriously needs some clothes.

"What?"

"We are sort of. . .new. . .to the world. The humansー" he rolls his eyes at the species, giving the implication of ill feeling towards them, "ーmade us as some kind of. . .experiment. To protect them or whatever," he speaks annoyed, waving his hand then folding his arms over his chest.

"They. . .made you?" I don't succeed at hiding my confusion.

He chuckles again, then runs a hand through his medium length white hair. "Your very pretty, you know that?" He remarks.

"I. . .what?"

"You know at first we thought you were a Kyo until we received word from Koren thatー"

"You know Koren! Is he here? What did he say?" I realize I'm speaking too hurried but just the sound of a familiar voice forces my heart to pound.

"Woah, woah. It's rude to interrupt."

"Wait," I pause. ". . .Who's we?"

He smirks then lifts his hand, flicking his fingers in a conjuring movement behind his head. "Come on out guys." He says.

The leaves rustle and shake before another white-haired, red-eyed girl emerges from the foliage. "Put some clothes on, you animal." She laughs then tosses him a wad of clothing.

"Oh right, sorry." He doesn't even act embarrassed as he slips his briefs on over his legs. I look away.

"I'm Nen, this is Aim, and the two creeps peeing in the bushes are Ash and Roy." The dressed girl speaks up, kindly extending her hand out to me. I slide my fingers into her palm gingerly and she shakes it feverishly.

"Um, nice to meet you." I awkwardly state.

"I can see that," Aim muses, pulling a shirt over his head.

"We work as guards for Main, and when Koren told us that Kyo crossed the border and kidnapped you we immediately started to search for you. He'll be so relieved when he finds out we found you. He was so worried." Nen explains, as two more men escape the darkness of the tree line. They both model white hair and red eyes. They must all be Anthrisses.

"But, how did Koren reach Main?" I ask, confused.

"Main isn't that far from where the Kyo took you prisoner," Aim tells me with a soft hint of amusement in his eyes. He must love explaining this information to someone as clueless as me.

"And Aim, my God did you have to kill Arix? You know Tof has a crush on him. She'll be so bummed." Nen whines, shaking her head disapprovingly at him.

"Well, no one should has a crush on a Kyo because they are gross, filthy monsters." He defends and my betraying mind instantly wanders to Senry. God, I miss him.

"Anyways," Nen rolls her eyes playfully. It's evident she holds certain feelings towards Aim. "Your name must be Blaine, then. Correct?"

I nod softly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Did Koren also tell you that?"

"He also said you were drop dead gorgeous," Aim speaks up. "He was drop dead right."

"He said no such thing." Nen laughs, but the action is obviously forced. "And now is not the time to be flirting. You really are such a boy."

Aim responds with a teasing, "Mhmm." Which makes everyone giggle. I peak a smile.

I clear my throat, dispelling the phlegm that has build up due to an oncoming cold soon to come over me. I shiver at the thought of yet another distraction in my way. A cold would mean I would just grow slower and would need to rest. I would slow everyone down. And that's what's killing me. "So is that why you saved me?"

Aim bobs his head up. "Hm?"

"Because Koren asked you to?" I broaden my definition. "Is that why you saved me from the Kyo?"

He smiles at me, the white of his teeth glinting in the soft sun. "Well, I mean we would have saved you if we knew you were Veracity. But that black hair of yours makes it hard to tell. And your skin is absolutely flawless."

I groan softly at the reminder. "I know." I whisper, somehow thankful for his honest answer.

(Vote and comment;)
x
o
x
o
alli;)