20.

20.
Koren isn't carrying me anymore, but as a replacement, we are placed in small automobiles, belonging to the soldiers. They are sleek and white, the sun rays bounce in translucent sparks against the perfect milky polish.

As they settle me in a seat next to Koren, he guides my head to his shoulder, instructing me to let it rest against his shoulder blade. When my eyes look up to meet his gaze questionably, he simply says, "I have my nice moments too."

I smile softly, eyes closing. I wish it were Senry here with me, but I am grateful for Koren not blocking me out, especially when I feel like I am about to collapse at any moment. I am so weak, and the numbing sensation in my arm is dispelling, giving way to a new and equally as terrifying hurt.

The cars are all driven by white clad soldiers, all gruff and significantly superior. I am surprised at how many vehicles they brought with them, just enough to fit four Veracity into every one. Brutus and Fabian sit behind us.

Saliva and mucus gather in my throat, until I'm set off in a fit of dry, painful coughs, my head lunging forward and into my lap. My stomach feels as if it is being squeezed as my lungs feel like they're on fire. Koren leans forward, his hand on my back. "Could you guys start driving already? She's practically dying back here!" He snaps impatiently at the driver.

His words are a cliché over exaggeration of my condition; at least I hope so. It certainly doesn't feel like an over dramatized suggestion, but the pain will go away eventually. Again, I hope.

"You better watch your tone! Your already in a load of trouble." The official turns in his seat, raising his voice over my coughs.

"Watch my tone? Can't you see how sick she is?" He spits back, equally as harsh. My eyes fall shut, and I feel my contentiousness slipping away again, my head burning.

"We said we'll help her, we understand your worried, just be patient, please." The woman from before coaxes, eyes visible in a reflective glass over her head.

Koren slumps back in defeat, crossing his arms over the broad surface of his chest. His T-shirt is damp from sweat, but his hair is dry, falling gracefully over his eye like it always does.

I fall uncontentious before I can tell him I'm fine and not to worry about me.

.

I reawaken with my head on Koren's lap, eye sight blurred, head dizzy. I have no visual of the scenery outside the car, but by the dimmed lighting and the snap and crackle as the soundtrack I can assume we are in the forest.

I try to move from the uncomfortable and awkward position, but my muscles feel strained and raw. A little magical Veracity-style healing would be helpful right now. But I'm guessing such things don't exist.

I let my eyes close once again, my forehead burning, and my arm aching. The touch of Koren's rough fingertips brushing over my hair soothes me, until I realize Koren is brushing my hair. Literally the last thing I expected from him.

He really does seem worried about me, which surprises me. It calms me also, in a strange way.

"What do you think it will look like?" I hear Brutus' muffled voice ask from behind us.

"What, Main?" I'm guessing Fabianーinquires.

"Yeah. . .my poor Veracity soul won't be able to handle a bunch of high-techy stuff, know what I mean?" Brutus chuckles. At least he's taking the situation we are in right now easily.

"Yeah. . .but it would be neat, to see how advanced the world has gotten without us. Know what I mean?" Fabian mimics.

"I guess. . ." He doesn't dwell on the topic.