We flood into the dark room underneath the earth, crawling and stumbling over random objects. My eyes gaze around, ears opened for hearing.

Silence.

It is the worst feeling I can fathom, dead silence. No screams. No hisses. Just silence.

Brutus finds me, placing a hand on the small of my back. I can hear his heart beating, it's so quiet.

Moments pass by chillingly, and I can't help but wonder where we are. Who owns this house? It couldn't just be that boy. He hardly looks like he's twenty. Is this even his house? Will he contact the Kyo? Will we die a torturous death?

So many questions are piled into my brain at once. But one thing still dominates all the others.

We're almost free.

My eyes jerk up to see a blinding light fill the room. The boy stands in the doorway opposite the room, his finger on a switch in the wall. "It's safe to come up." He informs us.

No way, the Kyo would be searching for us. They would go to every house and every where. Unless there are up there now and he is leading us too them.

A chill slides down me slowly at the thought.

He gives us a look as if we're dumb. "Unless you want to be stuck in the basement. But the food and clothes are upstairs."

Food and clothes?

I glance up at him. "Who are you?" I ask, still breathless from the chase.

He doesn't bother smiling. "Koren." He answers simply.

____

The upstairs is extravagantly larger than the basement, ornate in only the finest decor. The smell of fresh food wanders into my nostrils instantly filling my mouth with drool.

"I have two younger sister and one older brother so you can most likely find some clothes that fit you," Koren says, leading us up yet another set of stairs that lead to the third floor.

"What? We're just going to take your family's clothes? Won't they notice?" One of the other Veracity girls questions, her short chestnut hair curves with her jaw line.

He chuckles slightly, lifting his shoulders. "I have a feeling it won't matter that much," he explains, resting a hand on the gold railing.

I have never seen something so beautiful as this house, it steals my breath away. Koren turns abruptly, stopping the small herd of escaped Veracity in front of him.

"My family is out at a dinner party and will probably not be back until later." He informs us cooly.

"A dinner party this late at night?" The girl gasps.

His lip tugs upward slightly. "More like this early in the morning."

"What were you even doing outside?" I question, curiosity getting the better of me.

"If you heard a bunch of screaming and screeching I'm sure you would go check it out, too."

No I wouldn't. But I keep my thoughts behind my lips as he guides us down a lengthy corridor. He points his finger at several different doors, labeling which is which.

I choose his seventeen year old sister's room, along with the short haired girl and two other Veracity women. When I step into the ornate room, my eyes widen with envious shock. It's golden and silver from wall to wall, with jewelry hanging here and there, accompanying bedazzled mirrors and pictures. This is the life of a human teenage girl.

Immediately we dash for the closets, of course filled to the rim with expensive clothing. I let a whistle fall from my lips. "You could satisfy a small nation with this many clothes," I say quietly.

"Good for us." the girl turns before entering. "I'm Nina, by the way." She greets me with an outstretched hand. I take it into my fingers gingerly, remembering Hera's cold grip.

"Blaine." I return. She gives a small smile.

"I know." She turns into the closet, instantly her hands finding a sleek pink dress.

I frown. "I don't think a dress will be the appropriate attire." I confess.

Nina pivots with an expression of concern. "I guess your right. . .I was just hoping we would be done with all the running."

No. This is only the beginning.

____

I produce a simple tight gray pair of pants with a white long sleeve shirt that slightly hangs off one shoulder, slipping on a pair of brown boots that squeeze my toes. It's a comfortable and easy style that feels foreign on my body. The way it conforms to my every curve without pinching or hanging far too loosely is beyond excellent.

The other Veracity play it dangerous with risky pastel colors and jewelry. Nina even takes the time to attempt curling her hair, only to burn her fingers badly.

I just pull my hair back in a fishtail braid down my back, before trailing down the stairs. The pleasant aroma of some unknown food wafts through the chattering household, and I find myself walking quickly to reach the source.

The Veracity sit lazily around the living quarters, each talking and laughing, holding steaming bowls in their freshly clean hands.

"It's broccoli soup with cheese," Brutus explains as I sit down next to him, and he notices me eyeing the mystery stew warily.

I smirk a little at him. "Humans don't seem all that bad when they offer you food, do they?" I tease, nudging him with my elbow.

"I still don't trust him. . ." Brutus insists, lifting the silver spoon to his lips. A small chuckle falls from my lips, as I dip the utensil into the boiling, thick liquid.

I let it slide down my throat, warming my gut pleasurably. I dig in again, and again, until the whole bowl is completely gone.

Brutus eyes me widely. "Hungry?"

I wipe my lips with my sleeve. "Aren't we all?"

He nods understandable, smiling a little. If Senry were here, we'd probably be laughing about something, or just talking about anything. He'd be my distraction from everything that's happening. But he isn't here. He's at the volcano.

"So, mind explaining what the hell is going on? I'm a little lost." Koren drags himself to the ground, sipping a liquid from a bottle.

"It's a bit much to explain. We just need to get out of here, and fast." I say honestly, pulling my legs into my chest. He quirks an eyebrow.

"Where exactly are you planning on going?" He questions, bringing the cup to his lips.

"Anywhere." Is my reply.

Koren chuckles slightly, his brown bangs falling slightly in his right eye and hanging low against his ears. I notice two metal rings punctured through the cartilage. It isn't long before I see a hint of a tattoo peaking up from his collar, which is strange. I thought all humans were. . .well, classy.

"Do you even know enough to travel on your own? The world isn't exactly a walk in the park." He pulls one knee to his chest, the other one outstretched.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Well, for starters, there's a bunch of stuff about Veracity I bet you don't have a clue about."Let's test your theory "and I'd be willing to share all of that information."

Brutus finally perks up a bit. "Really?"

Koren cracks a smile. "For a price."

I frown. What more could he want? We have nothing we could give.

"You've gotta be joking," Brutus snaps, leaning forward angrily.

"What is it?" I ask, before Brutus says something he'll regret.

Koren leans in a bit, grinning. "Let me come with you," He says.

---
Please vote and comment if you like the story so far:)