Love Letters (Part 46)

Jem

‘So explain to me again why you’re leaving in three days as opposed to the week we agreed on?’ I asked Ethan, stabbing at the potatoes on my plate.

‘Well because I’ve got a lot to do when I get back home and because I told Ally I wouldn’t be away for long.’

I looked at him sharply, ‘since when did you start running around after girls?’

He paused, his fork mid-air as he glanced at me, ‘one girl and I’m not running after her.’

‘Sure sounds like it.’ I replied bitterly.

‘Shut up, Jem.’ Ethan responded, trying to sound like he was joking.

I put my utensils down, ‘you know, ever since you moved away, I feel like I’ve lost you. We barely talk anymore and you never have time for me when I do call. It’s like you don’t even care, all you care about is your girlfriend and your new friends. You’re not the only one, okay? I’ve made new friends too but they’re not taking over my life and I sure don’t let them get between us.’

‘What are you trying to say?’ Ethan asked, still calm and composed.

‘I’m saying you’ve changed.’

‘Why do people always have a problem with change? I mean you can’t expect someone to stay the same forever. If someone’s happy with the change they’ve experienced, why can’t other people just let them be happy instead of having some sort of breakdown about it?’

‘Oh don’t give yourself so much importance,’ I snapped, ‘I’m not having a breakdown.’

‘I was talking about people in general.’ He replied, trying not to smile.

‘Oh so now I’m special?’

‘Yeah, so?’

‘I hate you so much.’

‘So stop begging me to stay longer.’

‘Begging?’ I let out an exasperated sigh, ‘you’re so full of yourself.’

‘You really need to do something about your PMS issues, they’re getting worse.’ Ethan said, jabbing a fork in my direction.

‘I don’t have an issue, you do.’

‘You know, that’s the wittiest comeback I’ve heard, like ever.’ He said sarcastically.

‘Tell me more about this girl that you left me for.’

‘You mean Ally?’

I nodded.

‘I didn’t leave you,’ he clarified before continuing, ‘I don’t know what to tell you really, she’s funny, she’s pretty, she’s cute and she’s the only girl I know who can whistle.’

I rolled my eyes, Ethan had been trying to teach me to whistle for years and I still couldn’t grasp it.

‘I don’t think you two would get on very well though.’ He added with a grimace.

I sat up in my seat, ‘Oh and why’s that? Oh my, is she a total cow?’ I laughed until I realised he was looking at me oddly, after which I stopped.

That was the answer to your question.’ He picked his plate up and took it to the sink, rolling his sleeves up before he started to wash it.

‘What if I don’t like her, would you stop going out with her?’ I asked, not knowing what answer to expect.

‘This time last year I would’ve said yes, but realistically, probably not. I mean, I’d try to make it work between you two but I’m no relationship expert. Ideally my best friend and my girlfriend would make it work for my sake, right? I mean friendship is all about compromises.’ He raised his eyebrow at me as he dried his glass.