Love Letters (Part 41)

Note: Thank you all so much for your patience! I took some time out today from my revision to write this because I felt so bad for neglecting you guys, I really hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think below and thanks again for bearing with me!

P.S I've read all of your lovely comments so far! Thank you all! I haven't replied to them for a while, but I promise I'll get round to it! :D 

P.P.S You guys are awesome!

I didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry, I couldn’t even sit down, and I paced up and down the length of my room while I considered my options.

I could write another letter to Tyler and tell him that I’d lied, but then he’d lose his trust in me. I didn’t want him to stop trusting me as soon as he’d just found something else.

I could ignore the letter that I’d just sent and reply to the one I’d just received, but chances were that he wouldn’t be able to ignore it.

I could run down to the post box and stalk it until someone turned up and then persuade them to remove my letter from the sack but I wasn’t even sure if that was legal or even normal.

My final option was to call a friend. Dialling the number frantically on the house phone, the dial tone sounded a few times until I realised that Charlie probably had enough on her mind. But by then, it was too late.

Charlie answered and we spend about half an hour talking about school, Benny and relationships, valuable time that could’ve been spent retrieving my letter.

Finally I decided to do what any ‘normal’ person would do; I stood by the letter box for the next hour or so. I was beginning to this the post man had forgotten to pick up from that street when someone bumped into me from behind. I turned around and frowned as they apologized. He turned back and looked at me again and then looked around me at the letter box.

‘Waiting for someone?’ Sam asked, puzzled.

‘The postman.’ I told him, acting like it was a normal thing to do.

‘Well, did you know, you can just leave the letter in there and believe it or not, they come and take it anyway? You don’t need to stand there to make sure they collect it.’

I laughed dryly at his joke and peered through the gap to see if I could somehow retrieve it myself.

‘Seriously, do I even want to know what you’re doing?’ Sam asked, his funky blue hair showing up in the light as he stood behind me.

‘Not unless you’re postman Pat.’

‘Funnily enough, I do have a black and white cat. Have you lost something down there?’ his voice sounded more dubious by the minute.

‘I sent a letter I shouldn’t have sent, and now I can’t get it back.’ I said finally, turning to face him and shrugging at my own stupidity.

‘Oh dear.’ He replied before settling down on the wall behind me as though he were a spectator at a show.

‘Evening Sam,’ someone called out as they strolled past.

‘Hey Jean.’ Sam called back, but then he jumped off the wall. ‘Jean! I know it’s not working hours but I don’t suppose you’ve got your key for the box do you? Only, I was slipping a letter through and when I got home I realised my house keys fell through with it and now I’ve got no way of getting into the house unless I wait for my brother to get home later on.’

Praying for a breakthrough I stared alternately at Sam and Jean.

Jean shook his head, ‘I would if I could’ve Sam but I just bumped into Milo a while back and he’s already picked up from this area. Maybe call the office and see if they’ve found anything, possibly tomorrow morning? I’ll keep my eyes peeled too.’