[10] Watching You

Chapter Ten

She let out a long tired sigh and ran a hand through her short hair, removing her glasses from her face to set them on the table.  She slowly bit her lip, many thoughts going through her head and she tried to slowly shake them away.  She gave me an apologetic smile then placed her head between her hands.  “It’s just so hard to find something.  Just want something!  Something that will lead me in the right direction,” Dr Meese pleaded.

It was 4 am.  We had been working on this for about six hours now and still no luck.  No matter how many places we looked or people we asked, there was nothing.  Not one single thing.

“Maybe I’m not meant to come back... Maybe it’s not possible,” I said in defeat.  I can’t give Dylan the happy ending he wants, so it probably would be best for me to stay out of his life.

But what would I do?  Just float around in the middle of nowhere for the rest of my life? 

More importantly, do I tell him?  How do I tell him?

I shook my head as well and sighed in defeat.  “This is just a waste of time.  We shouldn’t have even bothered looking this all up.  It’s obvious it’s impossible.”

“I refuse to believe that!” Dr Meese suddenly argued with energy.  Her words made me lift my head in shock.

She gave me a determined look.  “I will bring back you and my daughter if it’s the last thing I do.  You girls are too young with too much hope to just let it all slide.  So what if we didn’t find anything in six hours?  So what if we don’t find anything in the next day?  There has to be some way to bring you two back.  There just has to.”  I could see the desperation in her eyes, the same look I knew Dylan would give me if I told him it was the end. 

But I was past lying to myself.  I was past hoping for something to happen, or to find a way.  Accepting it was the end was all I had left now.

“Beth... it’s over.  There is nothing we can do,” I told her.

            “You’re wrong!” she argued.

            I looked over at Ashley who shared a sympathetic look.  “Go,” she whispered.  “Go tell him goodbye.”

            “How did you know―” I started but Ashley cut me off.

            “I can see it in your eyes.  I can tell there is someone.  I’ll stay here with mum and get her to calm down.”

            I nodded and got off the couch.

            “Anna?” Ashley began.                                    

            I turned back to look at her.  “Yeah?”

            “Thank you.”

            I gave her a warm smile, despite all I wanted to do was cry, sleep and give up on everything, I still was glad knowing I made a friend out of this. 

The gentle sounds of his breaths comforted my ears, yet for some reason, no matter how close he was, he still felt a million miles away.  His black hair fell across his face.  No matter how messy it looked, he still pulled off looking so innocent.  It made my heart pound... metaphorically of course.

            I lay down next to him, wishing to hold him.  Wishing he could hold me.  Something I could never have again.

            Dylan slowly opened his eyes and looked into mine, a smile forming on his face.  His brown eyes stared deeply into mine with a look that made you just want to melt away from the love and adoration.  “Now this is a sight I wouldn’t mind waking up to every day.”

            I felt my face heat up but it instantly went away when I remembered what I had to do.  I couldn’t lead him on any longer.  I couldn’t keep doing this to him.

            “Hey, what’s wrong?”

            “I don’t know how to say this...”

            “Well, you open your mouth and then speak,” Dylan joked, but automatically stopped when he realised I was serious.  “What is it, Anna?  You can tell me anything, you know that right?”

            My bottom lip started to quiver as I looked into his eyes, knowing I was about to break his heart into a million pieces, more than Alex broke mine.  This was something that would ruin the both of us, but I did more damage being here than leaving.

            “Hey, hey, shh, it’s okay.”

            I shook my head.  “No, it’s not Dylan,” I croaked.  “Look at this! Even when I cry you can’t hug me and make everything better!  What type of life is this?”

            Dylan suddenly sat up and looked at me scared.  “Anna... what are you saying?”

            “Dylan... how can you live like this?  When I’m not real...”

            “No Anna... Don’t think that!”

            “Dylan, I’m not coming back.  No matter how hard I try... I’m just not.”

            “No, you can’t say that!  Don’t say that!” Dylan argued in denial.

            “Dylan,” I whispered, extending hand, yet dropping it immediately when I remembered I couldn’t touch him.

            “Don’t say that!” Dylan screamed.  “You can’t say that!  You can’t do this!  You can’t do this to me!”

            Hurried footsteps echoed through the house and into Dylan’s room. 

            “Dylan, honey, what’s wrong?” Kaila asked concerned, sitting on the bed and holding onto Dylan. 

            Dylan immediately shrugged off her mother and stood up, still looking me straight in the eyes.  “How can you say that?  You can’t give up on me!  You can’t just leave and rip everything I hoped for away!”

            “Dylan... who are you talking to?” Kaila asked, extremely concerned for her son.  She looked over to where Dylan was looking and looked straight through me.

            Then in walked Alex.

            My eyes darted off Dylan to Alex as he realised Dylan could see me.

            “Dylan, what’s wrong mate?” Alex asked, rather unsure.

            “Tell her she can’t leave!” Dylan begged his brother, falling to his knees.

            Alex looked at his younger brother, then at me, then back to his brother again.  “You can see her?”  He looked back at me with a look that demanded answers.

            “I―” I looked from Dylan, the tears running down his face to Alex who stood looking at me shocked, knowing what I had done to his brother.

            Dylan fell in love with me because I led this on.  Now this not only affected my parents and my friends, yet also Dylan.

            I shook my head.  “I’m so sorry,” I whispered and ran off.

            “Anna!” Dylan shrieked in pain after me.

            I felt my heart shatter with his pain as I left Dylan.