[3] Watching You

Chapter Three                    

As I sat on the window, watching the sun slowly rise and waiting for Alex to get up I sang to myself in a whisper, “It’s like forgetting the words to your favourite song.  You can’t believe it, you were always singing along.  It was so easy and the words so sweet.  You can’t remember, you try to feel the beat...” An overwhelming feeling of wanting to cry whelmed up inside me... but I couldn’t.  I couldn’t shed a single tear.  My body wasn’t capable of that now.               

Alex arose from his slumber, his hair a tangled mess.  He slowly opened his eyes looking at me.  “You never leave, do you?”               

“Nope,” I said, clearing my thoughts and getting up to follow Alex around the house in his morning rituals.                 

You went into the kitchen cupboard got yourself another hour and you gave, half of it to me,” I sang as I sat on the bench top.               

“Why would I give you half of my time?  You’re the one who steals it!” Alex accused.               

I shrugged.  “They’re the lyrics.  I’m not going to change them.”               

"Who’d sing a song like that?”               

Regina Spektor.”              

  “Who?”               

I rolled my eyes.  “Never mind.  You classified her as part of my ‘weird music’.”              

  “Oh... right.  And do you always have to sing?”               

“Only to annoy you.  It’d suck if I was a good singer, wouldn’t it?”               

“No, that would be better.  But sadly your voice is so bad that cats shriek at the sound of it.”              

  I mocked a sniffle and said, “That’s so touching and kind Alex!  Thank you!”              

  He shook his head and continued making his breakfast.         

Walking along the road to school I started to laugh.              

 “What now?” Alex asked.          

I smiled at him causing him to groan.               

“Not another song!” he begged, but it was too late, I had already thought of another song.               

I found a wallet, I found a wallet.  Inside with pictures of your small family.  You were so young, your hair dark brown, you had been born in 1953.”               

“You calling me old?”                      

Ignoring him I continued to sing.  “Your winter birthday was stamped on the plaster of a license so recently expired.  I was so tired as I walked through my door.  I laid all the contents of your wallet on the floor.”               

“How on earth did you think of that song?”               

“Three more steps,” I answered.               

So three steps later Alex stopped, bending down and picked up a wallet.              

  “You spotted that from that far away?”