[2] Watching You

Chapter Two

Alex took off his clothes and stepped into the shower, hot water spilling out of the shower head and making the room foggy.

            “Rain drops are falling on my head, dah dah dah, but that doesn’t mean my eyes will soon be turning red­―” I sang as I sat on the toilet, the lid closed of course.

            “Are you in here, Anna?” Alex groaned from the shower.

            “You bet!  How did you sleep?”

            “Horrible.  How is it possible you can invade my dreams?”

            “I dunno but it’s pretty cool, huh?” I giggled.

            He sighed, turning off the shower and grabbing a towel, stepping out with it around him.  “So why invade my dreams as well?”

            “Well I couldn’t get you out of my dreams after you cheated on me.  So I’m returning the favour.  I’ll tell you what, since I only lived for a month after that, I’ll only invade your dreams for a month.  Then I’ll let you sleep peacefully.  But I’m still going to pester you outside of your dreams.”

            “Can’t you just leave me alone and go live in heaven or whatever?”

            “Heaven?” I started to laugh.  “What heaven?  I’m dead.  I’m conscious of life after my death, and that’s it.  I just have to watch it, watch the people I love and can never talk to again go on with their lives.  Do you know how that feels? Since you’re the only one who can see me, might as well annoy you whilst I’m at it.”

            “I thought you were only annoying when you’re alive but you’re more annoying when you’re dead,” he mumbled.

            “You know, mumbling isn’t a good thing to do.  It might become a habit.  You should refrain from mumbling and start to speak clearer.”

            He rolled his eyes.  “I’m going to get dressed.”

            He opened and closed the bathroom door, heading to his room.

            I was right behind him.

            “Did you just walk through my door?” he asked in shock.

            “Yup.  It’s pretty nifty.” 

            “Oh my god!  This is hell.”

            “No, I do believe its earth.”

            He practically growled at me so I smiled.

            “Get dressed before you’re late for school.”

            I walked out of his room and went to the lounge room to check on his parents and brother.

            Alex being sixteen and attending school, still lived with his parents.  He had a brother that was a year younger than him named Dylan.  Dylan was the complete opposite of Alex.  Instead of being popular and sporty, Dylan was invisible and quiet. 

            Dylan had dyed black hair, snake bites and dark brown eyes.  He used to look just like Alex till he decided to be himself. 

            I walked through the house and into Dylan’s room.  I never really payed much attention to him.

            He was already dressed for school, his bag packed.  He sat on his bed with an acoustic guitar, playing some songs.  I smiled.  He was really good, I never noticed before.