The Mysterious Case Solved

Chapter 16

Grey was thrown onto the dirt floor of the woods.

Damn, he was getting the crap kicked out of him lately; maybe he should have petitioned this ‘being the girl of the relationship thing’. He could feel sharp sticks jabbing him in his back, and the crumpled leaves and dirt edging their way under his finger nails.

On top of it all, his head ached, as though his mind were trying to recall something. One of those tedious memories of past lives flashed before his eyes.  He was seeing several pictures of a man, always shrouded in black, standing before him. He could feel the sharp stab of knives in his heart, in his sides, and slicing across his jugular. He couldn’t stop the pain that came to his person every time one of the memories surfaced.

Jasper had been right; it was all coming back, not only the pain, but all the other memories to. All the times he had been alive, all the times he had died. He could see himself in bed with Jasper, in the forest with Jasper learning how to fight, watching the other boy read and being fascinated, in fictional sort of way, with how utterly gorgeous the other man was. He’d seen Jasper, all of Jasper, laid out before him.

However it all seemed like a cruel joke. One reason being because even though it played out before his eyes like a movie, it seemed just that; a movie.  It seemed as though any moment the movie would end, and the credits would role, and it would be like before when he would be trying to shove more cheese doodles in his mouth than Reggie in front of the TV. And two, that same recurring, looming, black coated figure that he had seen repeatedly in the flash backs, was standing before him now.

“Do you know how many times I’ve killed you,” the man was saying. Reaching his foot out, he brought it swiftly down on Grey’s leg, effectively snapping the bone.

Grey screamed as he felt the tears come to his eyes. He did know how many times the man had killed him, and this instance seemed to only escalate that number.

Grey could see the man turn his head to the side through his blurred vision.

“Funny, you were braver a lot of the other times you died,” the man mused. Grey realized that he would probably come back in another life, at least that’s what Jasper had said, but somehow that didn’t reassure him. Maybe it was the fact that he was getting his leg crushed like his bones were made of chalk instead of composed of calcium and stronger substances.

“Did you crush my leg last time?” he managed hiss, partially because he was a smart ass but more because he would not go quietly. “Cause you know that could be a factor.”

“And your past lives were less... chatty,” the man scoffed. He ground his foot along Grey’s leg, crushing more bone. Grey screamed, closing his eyes trying not to look at his now mangled leg. He would never walk again, nor would he ever play baseball again, and he was pretty sure it would hinder any “physical” activities.

“Well, you know me, always looking for someone to talk to, what can I say I have a lot of baggage,” He murmured. 

“I don’t understand why he continues to keep you human, it’s pathetic how week you are,” the man said as though it were a faint after thought.