Chapter Five: Coming Out A Little

Chapter Five:

                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Coming Out A Little

"Ok, ok. It's ok Skylar. You look fine. You look great. So there is no need to be nervous." I said as I paced back and forth in front of my mirror. I was so undeniably nervous of what everyone would have thought of me. 

Would they say I looked great?

Or would they tell me I was just trying to fit in?

Ugh! This s why I was so nervous. 

For the first day of school, I put on this mint green spot peplum shirt, with some blue jeans and my new black poppy lazer cut lace heel boots. My hair was in a bun and my make-up was light. The minute I bought this outfit, was the minute I fell in love with it. I mean it was beautiful and I knew this was the first outfit I was going to wear.

I plopped down on my bed and placed my head in my hands. I needed to calm down. It wasn't like I was meeting the parents of my fiance or something. So I needed to take a deep breath and go to school like it was any other day. There was no need to be panicking. Not at all.

My bedroom door opened and in entered Raven. She looked for the first day of school. She had on a white tank top with an ariel floral print maxi skirt and some crochet lace up oxford flats. Her hair was curled and big. I smiled at her and stood up, walking over to her. I hugged her and she hugged me back.

"You ready to go? Claire is outside sitting in the car." She said and I nodded. I grabbed my bag and my supplies for school and went down stairs with her.

My mom left when Raven came in and didn't ever bother to say goodbye or that she was gone to me before she walked out of the door. Yeah that was the life I had. My mother barely acknowledged me, but I never said anything. And I just left it alone. She would come around.

When we walked outside, I expected to see Claire's white Mercedes benz, but that's not what I saw. No, I saw a black 2014 Chevrolet Impala, and I saw Tyler leaning against  the car. He turned towards me and Raven and smiled, but then looked at me and his smile slightly faded. He must could sense the tension in the air right now. Because I could.

"Um, Raven, you think you could have told me that some one else was picking us up? I could have asked my mom to take me to school. Or at least drove myself."

"Is there something you have against Tyler?" she asked pulling me over to the side, and I sighed.

"No, there is nothing wrong. Thanks for asking. I don't even know the guy enough to have anything against him." I said crossing my arms over my chest.

"Ok, you know, you should wear your hair down. It's prettier that way." She said taking the bobby pins that were holding my bun up out. My hair fell down my back and I smiled at her.

"Come on, let's go to school." I said looping her arm with mine and walking back over to Tyler's car.

I looked straight up at him, and I saw something in his eyes but it quickly disappeared as he looked back at me and said, "Let's go."