8

Karen's POV

Since Matt and I lived two streets away from each other, we met up at the bus stop and walked together. It was starting to become a daily routine for us.

"How are you, Karen?" he asked. He wore a purple and white checkered shirt today, and he looked extra handsome.

I smiled," Good. Not looking forward to Moffat."

Matt looked thoughtful for a while. "I've got an idea."

"What?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. I hoped it was something brilliant like yesterday at the tree house.

We arrived at Mr. Moffat's class room, and Matt put an arm around me and walked me over to where he and Arthur sat.

"Hey Arthur, do you mind sitting next to Billie?" Matt asked.

Arthur glanced at Billie, who was sitting at her usual spot up front, doing her makeup. He hesitated and said," Sorry, mate. I can't. We've hated each other since nursery school."

Matt sighed," You know what Karen, you can sit with Arthur and I'll go sit with Billie. She won't bother you anymore."

I stood there, surprised. "Matt, you really don't have to-" but he patted me on the back and sat down next to Billie, who looked a bit surprised as well to see Matt sitting there.

I looked at Arthur awkwardly," Em- I hope you don't mind." I sat as I sat down.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, Arthur muttered," You know what? I reckon he fancies Billie and he's using you as an excuse to sit next to her."

The words hurt me like a stab in the heart. "Really?" I gulped. I watched Matt talking to Billie, talking like they were friends.

Arthur shrugged.

"Aren't Billie and David together?" I asked anxiously.

Arthur chuckled," He dumped her for a girl in Year 9 this morning."

"Oh," I mumbled. I couldn't concentrate for the rest of the class, and thankfully Moffat didn't pick on me today. Maybe sitting at the back worked. I sighed, I guess I had to thank Matt for the seat change, but I wasn't too happy about it.