3

Karen's POV

I walked into maths class five minutes late, and Matt was already seated in the back row next to a bloke with sandy brown hair. Matt was the only friend I had at Torchwood. I scanned the room and the only available seat was up front next to a blonde girl. 

"Karen Gillan, is it? You're tardy," the teacher, Mr. Moffat said sternly. He had a Scottish accent too. 

I gulped. "Sorry, sir." I quickly sat down next to the blonde girl. 

"Hi. I'm Billie. You're new here, aren't you?" the blonde girl whispered. 

I did a quick nod, hoping Mr. Moffat didn't see. The last thing I wanted was a bad first impression... I was probably too late for that. 

"I figured. Nobody arrives late to Moffat's class. Not even me," she smirked. 

"Oh," I mumbled and looked away. 

"Everybody get your books out, we're taking notes," Mr. Moffat said. I rifled through my bag and then realised that I hadn't brought a notebook. They were probably still in the boxes in my new flat. 

I turned to Billie and asked," Do you have any paper I could borrow?" 

I don't know if I was talking too loud (I doubt that) or Moffat has really sharp ears, because he whipped around and glared at me. "Are you talking during my class, miss Gillan?" 

My face burned as I felt the whole class turn to stare at me.  "N-no," I began. But Moffat wasn't done.

"Are you interrupting my class?" he demanded, louder this time. 

I could feel the tears starting to come out, and I fought them back. I took a deep breath and whispered," No, sir. I'm sorry, sir." 

"What did you say?" Mr. Moffat leaned in closer, pretending he didn't hear. I'm positive he heard it the first time loud and clear. 

"No sir. I'm sorry sir," I said louder again. My voice sounded weird at this point, and I knew I was going to start crying any second now. 

Billie spoke up. "She was only asking to borrow a piece of paper, sir," she said confindently. 

Mr. Moffat turned to glare at me. "So not only were you late, you were also unprepared?" 

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying in the middle of class. 

 "What a shame to Scottish people," he shook his head and said to himself, but he said it loud enough for me to hear, and I'm positive he intended that too. He continued to teach the lesson as if nothing happened. I looked down for the rest of the class, avoiding eye contact with any my other classmates, and I didn't say a word.