Chapter Four: The beginng of the End, and The Beginning!

We flirted back and forth for a little while, one day my now ex husband, Brittany and I went to get water from a little spring she knew of; the water at our house wasn't drinkable, and we were flat broke. After filling up jug after jug of water we all three piled up into the bed of the truck, I was in the mode. Between the man I was supposed to love, and the woman in was starting to love. It was a bumpy ride so I had the excuse to brush knees or hands with Brittany during the car ride.

  We stopped at the little gas station down the road for cigarettes or maybe just to browse, I can't really remember at this point. He left us one to go into the 'Adult' section and Brittany and I stayed behind to look at other random items in little convenient store/head shop of a gas station. This was the first time we really connected. I think I was the one who reached for her hand, something was bothering her and I could tell. She seemed upset. And deep down I knew what it was. It was because of my husband.

  After a little bit of conversation between us we met back up with him, and piled back into the truck. In my mind I knew this was the end. We went home and Brittany did too, promising to come over later. My husband and I were driving home and that was when I told him that I wanted a divorce. He could tell something was bothering me, and stopped the truck until I told him.

  He was heartbroken, or seemed to be at the time, though now that I look back I realize it was just a show. He probably knew how worthless he had been, from helping with Ava or helping out around the house, he was not much help with anything to be honest.

  He drove us both home, and he immediately started packing a few things and took off in his truck like a race car driver as he had on many occasions before. Soon after Brittany arrived.

  I was crying, of course, I mean I did feel bad. I wasn't leaving him for Brittany. I was leaving him for me. The fact I had feelings for Brittany was just the straw that broken the camels back. I had been done in the relationship since before Ava's birth.

  Brittany helped me put Ava to bed and we sat down on the twin bed in Ava's room, she held my hand and then she hugged me. It just felt kind of right. I looked at her and she looked at me, and we had one of the most awkward first kiss ever. I think I bumped her teeth with mine, it was all just a big mess! I still laugh when I think about it, even as I write this I am smiling!

  Soon after my husband at the time pulls back onto the driveway along with his psycho, violent, drunk and rather perverted father who was right behind him. I knew this was a problem just by knowing the family.

I looked at Brittany and I think she kind of read my mind. We gathered some of Ava's things and a few of my own, I scooped my sleeping daughter up and we hurried downstairs and put my daughters car seat in the backseat of her car.

  We managed to make it out of there without a problem luckily and drove down the road to where she lived with her mother. It was late. Close to eleven by now maybe even later. This meant we didn't have to explain to her mother just yet, so we took Ava inside and laid her on Brittany's bed, laying with her until she fell asleep again.

  Brittany and I hadn't really discussed anything about us so far and honestly I thought she didn't really want to be with me. I thought maybe she liked me, yes. But not enough to get into all this drama with my ex husband and his family, courts and lawyers, etc.