One Helluva Surprise

When I walked into Health class earlier, Tristan glared at me. He had seen me earlier walking around campus holding Zane's hand. Maxine saw us too and glared at me. I know she was mad but it wasn't my fault that he didn't like her.

The lunch bell rang and I hung back at my desk for a little bit. I was waiting for Tristan to leave before I'd go to my locker. From the corner of my eye I saw someone standing behind me a few feet away. When I turned to get a good look I saw that it was Ryan.

"Lilly," he said smiling.

I smiled back. "Ryan. What are you doing here?"

"I go to school here now."

"Oh? Really? I thought you didn't want to transfer here."

Ryan shrugged. "You were right. It's a lot easier to come here then the other school. Closer to home."

"Oh, right. I forgot that I said that."

"I've been calling you."

I ran a hand through my hair, trying to think of what to say to that. "About that..."

"You never answered. I was getting a little worried. And I was also wondering if maybe it was something I did or said."

"Um, actually..."

Just then Zane walked into the classroom and snaked his arms around my waist. It was his way of telling someone else to back off or get away. We've only been going out for about a week but I knew him very well.

"I see why," Ryan said nodding his head. "Guess I'll see you around," he said then left.

"What was that all about?" Zane asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing."

"Wasn't that the guy at the chocolate shop that we saw awhile ago?" Zane asked looking at the door.

"Yeah, that was him."

I unraveled Zane's arms from my waist. I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the classroom door. "Come on. Let's go to lunch."

* * *

After school, I decided to go to the library to work on the chemistry project since I missed a couple of days of school. Zane had more than half of it done but I felt really bad about not doing anything.

I went down the textbook isle and immediately regretted it. Tristan was in the same isle pulling a book off of the shelf. I tried to quietly retreat back but I accidentally ran into a cart full of books.

Who the hell left that there?

Tristan glanced up at me. At first he seemed to be sad, he slumped forward a little bit but then he regained his posture covering up the sadness.

"So you and Zane are going out?" he said.

"Yeah, so? You got a problem with it?" I asked cruelly.

Tristan flinched. "No. Why would I?"

"I don't know. Maybe because you seem to disagree on everything else I do."

Tristan shrugged. He looked back at the shelf. "I'm happy for you."

"What?" I asked in shock.

"I'm happy for you."

I pushed some of the hair in my face back. "Thanks." It sounded more like a question than it did a statement.

Unfortunately the chemistry textbooks were right by where Tristan was standing. Our arms brushed up against each other, sending electricity through my body. It gave me chills. I hate how he still and would always have that effect on me.