Some Breakup

For the first time in what felt like ages Dad said that we were all going to have a family dinner. Mom made her delicious lemon peppered chicken tonight. Everyone was on their second plate but I was still working on my first.

"What's wrong, Lilly? I thought lemon chicken was your favorite?" mom said. Dad and Talon looked up from their plates.

"It is...I guess I'm not that hungry."

"Is everything okay. Lately you haven't been acting like yourself."

If only she knew. "I'm fine. Just tired is all." I hated lying to my parents. From the corner of my eyes I saw Talon shake his head.

Dad cleared his throat. "A young girl reported that she saw a wolf out by the clearing yesterday."

Mom gasped. "Was it one of our members?"

He took a sip of his water then shook his head. "No. I sent some people to go check and they said the scent wasn't familiar."

"Do we have any idea who it is?" Talon asked with an edge in his voice.

Dad gave him a long look. "No," he said at last.

"Who was the girl that found this wolf?" I asked.

"Allison Ford."

"Mr. John Ford's daughter?" mom asked. "What was she doing in the woods in the first place?"

Dad shrugged. "Exploring I guess."

Mom shook her head.

"So how's school, kids?" Dad asked changing the subject.

"I got an A on my history test," Talon said.

"That's good. That's very good. Lilly?"

"Um, I got a B on a Spanish quiz."

"That's good to."

"My councelor called me in today," Talon said when it was quiet at the table.

"For what?" Mom asked. I think she was expecting for him to say that he got into some sort of trouble. I mentally laughed. Talon never gets in trouble.

"Well she told me that my grades are really good and that I have a really good chance of getting into the college that I've been wanting to go to."

Dad sighed. "Talon-"

"I know, I know. I'm next in line for alpha but I just really want to go. Even if it's for a year."

"I think that's great," mom interjected. "I'm happy to hear that your grades are really good and that you want to go to college. Isn't that right, Elliot?"

Dad grumbled. The phone rang before he could answer mom. I got up from the table and walked into the kitchen to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Lilly?! Is that you?"

"No, it's Talon."

"Shut up! I have the greatest news for you," she sang.

"What?"

"Tristan and Destini broke up!"

"That's why you called? To tell me that they broke up?"

"Of course. I heard them yelling, more like Destini yelling and crying, awhile ago. Then I went to check on Destini and she said that he broke up with her."

"That's great," I said unenthused.

"I thought you'd be happy? Now you guys can be together."

"He made it very clear that he didn't want to be with me. I don't even know if I want to be with him. Especially after the way he's been treating me."