Screw It

It's been about a week since Zane told me about him and Tristan being brothers. I tried to avoid the both of them as much as possible but it was hard to do when I had to sit next to Zane in chemistry.

I couldn't stand being in my room having nothing to do so I thought it'd be a good idea to talk to Talon about everything that I had found out.

I knocked on his door and without waiting for an answer I opened it. Talon stuffed something under a pillow. Talon's face was red. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What were you looking at?" I asked.

"Nothing," he lied.

I walked over to his bed and removed the pillow. College brochures were laid out everywhere.

"Is dad going to let you go?" I asked.

Talon shook his head. "I doubt it."

"Have you tried talking to him again?"

Talon shrugged. "What's the point? He's not going to let me go."

"He might. If you tell him that you really, really want to go."

Talon ran a hand through his hair. Parts of it stuck up in long spikes. "Lilly, I know dad. Once he makes up his mind there's no changing it."

"You don't know that."

"Yes I do."

I sighed. "Where do you want to go?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I don't know. I know I'm going to stay close to home. If dad let's me go, I'm going to have to stay close to home."

"At least you'll be able to go to college."

"That's true."

"Just talk to him."

"I'll try but I already know what he's going to say."

"Bribe him-"

The doorbell rang. Talon ran downstairs to answer it. A few seconds later Talon shouted that it was for me. I ran downstairs. At first I thought it was Maxine coming to apologize for the way she's been acting with me but it wasn't her. It was Zane.

I hate to admit it but he looked gorgeous. He was wearing a dark blue t-shirt and black jeans. His amber eyes now seemed gold. My heart beat faster when I thought about the time that I had kissed him. Is it bad that I wanted him to do it again?

"Hey," he said.

"I'll be upstairs if you need me," Talon said.

I opened the door wider for him. "You want to come in?" I asked.

He stepped inside. "How are you doing?"

I shrugged. "I'm doing okay."

"Sorry for just dropping a bomb on you like that," he said.

"Don't worry about it. I'm glad you told me. If you didn't then no one would've."

"Does your family always do that? Keep secrets?"

"Only from me."

Zane chuckled. "Why?"

"I don't know. I guess they think because I'm young I won't be able to handle it. They all still see me as a little baby. It get's annoying. I just want them to treat me like an adult."

"Have you told them this before?"

"They don't listen."

I walked to the living room and sat down on the couch. Zane followed me and sat down next to me. He left a large gap between us. It was weird how he was distancing himself from me.