Other Fish In the Sea

Jack had asked me to go out to lunch with him today and I agreed. I don't know why I did, I just did. Rhiannon had told me that I needed to start seeing other people, she said something about testing the waters, so here I was on I guess what you could say a lunch date.

"What's Tristan's deal with you? Is he some kind of crazy ex-boyfriend?" Jack asked.

He took me by surprise with that one.

I scoffed. "He wishes," I mumbled while playing with the straw of my drink.

"So he's just some kind of crazy stalker dude?"

"I guess you could say that."

He laughed. "You never answered my question about going to the movies with me and some friends."

"Uh, ya, I guess I could go."

"You're not just saying that cause you feel bad for rejecting me are you?"

I slightly flinched. There was that word again, rejected. I shook my head no. The hair on the back of my neck began to stand up and my back stiffened. I knew it was Zane who had walked in, I didn't need to turn around because I could smell him from twenty feet away. I heard his footsteps approaching closer towards me then I caught another set of footsteps trailing right behind him.

Please don't see me. Please don't see me. Please don't see me.

I prayed silently. Zane stopped right next to our booth. I looked up to only see a cocky smile played out on his face. S**t.

"Hello, Lilly," he said his eyes locked on mine, not bothering to cast a glance at Jack.

"Hi, Zane."

"You two know each other?" Jack asked, confusion written all over his pretty face.

"Yup," Zane said before I could answer. I glared at him but all he did was smile back. Jerk.

"I know," he whispered so only my ears could hear what he said. How did he know what I was thinking? This suddenly became very awkward.

"I'm Michelle," the brunette girl said, trying to release the tension in the air.

"I'm Jack. And this is Lilly," he said pointing to me. I heard his heart beat a little faster. He liked Michelle. I took a look at her. She was pretty, brown hair, brown eyes, short, and a girlish face. Michelle looked like she could be a Freshman. I sniffed the air. Human. Michelle was human.

Zane looked at me with a knowing smirk on his face. He knew why I had sniffed the air. He did the same thing too. Zane's eyes glanced at Jack, his grin grew wider, and he looked back at me. I had to hold back the urge to roll my eyes. Ya, I know. He's human.

"It was nice to see you, Lilly. Jack," Zane said and left. Him and Michelle sat a few tables away. The rest of lunch with Jack was awkward. Zane kept glancing at my way, I tried my best to not look at him, and Jack well I think Jack kept thinking about Michelle. I pretended like I had no idea about his little crush for Michelle, but when I mentioned her name his heart began to flutter again. I hate boys.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The car ride back to school was even worse, we barely spoke two words. Of course I said thank you and yes I lied. I said I'd call him but I doubt it. Rhiannon will be pissed when I tell her about what happened.

As soon as I stepped foot into the school I knew I was late. The halls were empty and from the cafeteria, I could hear the giant clock that hangs above the doors ticking. I looked down at my wrist and realized that I didn't have my watch on. Before going to class, I was going to have to stop at my locker to get some books. When I turned the corner I noticed a couple making out. Eww. Get a room.