Sorrowful Contempt

"Water... Earth... Fire... Air..." Katara voices over as the benders demonstrate as she talks. "My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Avatar kept the balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked." It journeys into the map showing the world and closes in on a bender displaying all the elements. "Only the Avatar mastered all four elements. Only he could stop the ruthless firebenders. But when the world needed him most, he vanished." He disappears from sight. "A hundred years have passed and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the war. Two years ago, my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me and my brother to look after our tribe." It shows the Water Tribe men on their boats and Katara hugging her older brother Sokka holding up a lantern. "Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads and that the cycle is broken, but I haven't lost hope. I still believe that somehow the Avatar will return to save the world."

Sorrowful Contempt

On the deck of the ferry some time ago, a shocked Iroh watched the giant bison pass overhead and away. "Huh!" Iroh exclaimed in shock waking both Zuko and Rin, they turned to face the older man.

"Uncle? What are you looking at? Is there something out there?" Zuko asked his Uncle sleepily

"Uh, it's nothing. Go back to sleep." Iroh replied nervously and soon sighed in relief thankful as Zuko and Rin fell back to sleep.

One morning, the Kyoshi Warriors gathered red berries from a group of bushes, one of the warriors noticed clumps of white fur hanging from the branches of a bush. "Must have been some fight." The Warrior commented plucking a mass of the white fur.

"Wait. Let me see that." Suki instructed taking the clump of white fur from her fellow Warrior. "No. it couldn't be." She muttered to herself, she gazed up the side of the hill, a devastating scene of broken trees and stripped Earth. She followed the path of destruction, climbed up the side and finally found herself up at the top, she discovered the ragged bison lying in the shadow of the mine entrance. "Huh? Appa? Oh no." She questioned, but the noise of her voice, caused Appa to cower back in fright into the mine growling at her. As Suki approached, she saw his chains as well as the various injuries he had sustained. She kneeled near the entrance and laid down a double handful of berries and fruit for him as a sign of peace. "It's gonna be okay Appa. I have to leave, but I am gonna be back soon with help." She assured Appa, she turned hurrying back down the side of the hill. Appa emerged cautiously sniffing at the fruit.

Sometime later Suki led the other Kyoshi Warriors carefully up the side of the hill, as Appa lied back inside the mine entrance. "No sudden movements. He's been lost for awhile, and he looks like he's hurt. He's shy around people and scared. Stay low, and stay quiet." Suki addressed her fellow Warriors behind her.