Chapter 9: March to the Sacred Grove

Despite the fact that Saorla redoubled all of the spells and enchantments protecting the location of the Sacred Grove, with the help of Macha and the other Dark Sídhe, Dughall was able to find it.

There were several skirmishes along the way between the Fair Sídhe and the Dark Sídhe. Dughall and his men stood almost speechless as small, brightly dressed faeries flew out of trees, mounds and woods, their wings glistening in the sun, and attacked the Dark Sídhe that were traveling with Dughall and his men. The Dark Sídhe, full of pent up venom and anger, dispatched their attackers quickly and with ease. After a few hours, there were no more surprise attacks by the Fair Sídhe, who apparently decided to give up rather than be exterminated.

At the suggestion of Macha, Dughall ordered two of his men to go forward as scouts as the rest pulled back. After two hours, one of the soldiers stumbled back to camp while the other soldier was nowhere to be found.

“What happened?” Dughall asked the hapless man.

The soldier stared vacantly and said over and over, “I am your servant, my love.”

Dughall quickly lost patience with the man who had clearly lost his mind. He paced the floor and tired of hearing the soldier prattle on and on, he pulled his sword and in one swift stroke, cut off the man’s head.

“Now he will stop with his incessant, mindless chatter,” he said. The soldier’s head rolled a few yards and came to a stop just a few feet in front of Dughall.

“Sire,” Macha said in her soft but brittle voice. “He has been kissed by the Lianhan Sídhe, Sire,” she said.

“Explain, creature,” Dughall barked.

“She is a powerful spirit. Lianhan Sídhe is quite beautiful to human men and irresistible. She lures men to her then kisses them. But her kiss removes most of their life essence, and they become addle brained or kill themselves.”

“So this hapless soul was already dead,” Dughall said flatly as he nudged the lifeless head lying on the ground with his toe. “This is all very interesting, Macha, but how can we defeat this creature?”

“I do not know, Sire,” replied Macha.

Dughall spun toward her, his eyes ablaze with fury. “You drag me all the way out into this wood claiming you can gain entry to the Grove, and now you tell me that you do not know how to defeat the creature that stands in my way?” Dughall bellowed.

“Sire, no one that has ever seen the Lianhan Sídhe has been able to say what they saw. No one knows exactly how she holds sway over men. We must send another scout, but this time, be close enough to see what happens,” offered Macha.

Dughall’s face softened ever so slightly. “You mean send another of my men as bait, is that what you are suggesting?” asked Dughall.

“Well, yes, Sire. I think it is the only way,” answered Macha.

“Yes, Macha, I think you are right. You are a detestable little creature. So devoid of feelings for human life. I do believe I am starting to like you.”

Dughall’s compliment made Macha’s skin brighten and her wings became an iridescent coral color. Together, Macha and Dughall made a plan to find at last the secret of the power of the Lianhan Sídhe.