Chapter 19: Things That Go Bump in the Night

We woke up around 10:00 that night, packed just the stuff we needed for our nighttime journey into one bag, and crept down the stairs. People were eating and drinking in the pub below. They didn’t seem to notice us as we left.

“Okay, we’re ready except for one thing,” Jake said.

“What’s that nub? A blankie,” joked Fanny.

“Cut it out Fan, I’ve had enough of your crap,” said Jake. He was tired and testy. “We need a shovel, okay? Unless you want to dig with your hands.”

“Where are we going to get a shovel?” I asked.

“They have to have a shovel here somewhere,” offered Jake. “Maybe there’s a shed or something out back. We can lift their shovel and return it when we get back.”

“Sounds like a plan,” said Fanny as we left the room.

We had one flashlight between the three of us so we pretty much had to stay clumped together to see anything in the pitch black. We crept around to the back of the large brick inn and found a small building. It looked promising until we noticed that it was locked with a padlock.

“Crap, it’s locked,” I said.

“You give up too easy,” said Fanny. “Padlocks are no problem. Jake, hand me the pack.”

Jake flung the pack off his back and onto the ground. Fanny took the flashlight and rummaged through the bag until she found what she was looking for.

“What ‘ya got?” asked Jake.

“A pair of tweezers.”

“What are you doing with a pair of tweezers in the pack?”

“You’re a guy. You wouldn’t understand.”

“Understand what? What use could you possibly have for those on this mission?”

“You never know when you’re going to need to tweeze, Jake,” Fanny said matter-of-factly. She got down on her knees and started working the lock. In a couple of minutes, we heard a click as the lock opened up.

“How do you know how to do that?” I asked.

“You don’t wanna’ know.” She flung open the door and began to walk into the shed with Jake and I on her heels.

It was black as the blackest night in there. There wasn’t a speck of light except for what was put out by the small flashlight. We were huddled together so tight if one of us tripped we were all going down.

“See anything?” I asked.

“So far all I’m seeing are old cans of paint and some crates of unknown origin,” said Jake.

We stood still in the center of the room as Fanny swept the flashlight from one side of the room to the other. After a few minutes of slowly sweeping the room, we saw something metal glint in the light.

“There,” said Jake. “Go back a bit. Back there, in the corner.”

Fanny did what Jake asked and as our eyes adjusted to the light we saw it. A garden shovel caked with dirt and grass. Perfect.

“Go get it,” Fanny said. She shoved the flashlight into Jake’s hand.

“What? No, we’re all going to get it. All for one, remember?”

“Come on Jake, you’re the guy here. Man up.”

“Oh, for Christ’s sake, give me the flashlight then.” Jake grabbed the flashlight from Fanny and left us in the dark as he slowly walked toward the back corner of the shed.

“Got it,” he said. Fanny and I were in complete darkness now so I hoped he’d walk fast so we could get out of there.

“Come on Jake, let’s get out of here,” I said. I heard Jake’s feet slowly shuffle then a sudden loud crash.

“What happened?” Fanny asked.

“I tripped,” said Jake. A few seconds later, Jake let out a loud scream. The small beam of light cast by the flashlight moved erratically.

“What’s going on Jake?” I screamed.

“Something just had my leg,” he said as he came bounding toward us. “Come on – move – there’s something in here!”

We all ran with Jake to the door of the shed and escaped outside. When we got out, Fanny grabbed the flashlight from Jake.

“What are you doing? Come on, let’s just get out of here.”

“Calm your panties, nub,” said Fanny. She shined the flashlight back into the shed from just outside the door. She moved it back and forth until it caught the glow of eyes looking back at us.

“There. That’s what attacked Jake,” she said.

Jake and I both cowered on either side of Fanny as she shined the flashlight onto Jake’s attacker. There were two beady eyes looking right at us, reflecting the light in that creepy way animals’ eyes do. And in the light of the small electric torch you could see the eyes were surrounded by black fur.

“It’s a cat,” I said.

Fanny laughed so much I thought she’d have a seizure.

As soon as Fanny stopped laughing enough to talk, she said, “Okay, I concede Jake. We no longer send you to do ‘man’s’ work.”

“Shut it,” Jake said. He grabbed the flashlight from her and stomped away.

We ran to catch up with Jake, neither of us wanting to be left in the dark Irish night without a flashlight. When we got to the sidewalk in front of the inn we followed Jake up the street. He looked like he knew where he was going.