Chapter 14: Search for the Torc

Dughall tromped through the thicket and back to the Great Hall. When he got there, he expected to see his men finishing off the last of the women he had ordered them to kill. Instead, he saw his soldiers fleeing. Grown men ran from the hall and screamed like little girls.

“What is the meaning of this insubordination?” Dughall charged up the steps of the Great Hall and opened its doors. Inside, he saw piles of bodies, mostly his own soldiers, lying in heaps. And there, at the center of it all was Bian Sídhe. Like her sister Lianhan Sídhe in her fearsome aspect, Bian Sídhe had large red wings covered in scales like a dragon. Her long, dark hair whipped wildly about her head and shoulders. Full of anger and fury, her red eyes shot flames at all that stood in her path.

The women warriors and faeries stood behind her, guarding the younglings, their weapons still drawn. And fighting at Bian Sídhe’s side was Madame Wong. The ancient spirit warrior hurled her little body about and wielded a sword in each hand. Any ill-fated man who happened to get close would either be incinerated by Bian Sídhe or sliced and diced by Madame Wong.

Upon seeing the scene, Dughall understood why the men fled. There was no point in fighting. As he left the Great Hall, Dughall barked out the order for his soldiers to torch the place. “Burn it all down,” he yelled.

“I would not do that if I were you,” Macha curtly said.

“Again you tell me what I must not do, Macha. You excel in speaking of do nots yet you seem fresh out of dos,” said Dughall. “I may well regret asking this question but I shall ask it all the same. Why should I spare this pathetic group of shacks?”

“Because there may be clues here. Clues about the torc and where it has gone. Clues about the portal and how to get in,” she coolly replied.

In his anger, Dughall had not thought of the possibility that he could still find anything of use inside the grove. Yes, search for clues and find the torc. Its power would be mine.

Dughall, Macha, and Cian split up and searched the sleeping huts and other buildings for clues. Macha happened upon Saorla’s own small thatch-roofed cottage. As she rifled through her belongings, at the very back of a high shelf Macha came upon a small leather-bound book with vellum pages. As she opened the book, she knew she had found exactly what they looked for.

She quickly flew to Dughall with her prize. Macha’s wings were a shimmery luminescent orange. “Here,” she said as she flung it at Dughall.

“What is this?” he asked.

“Open it and see. That is, if a brute like you can read.”

“Of course I can read, you impudent insect,” he snarled.

As Dughall opened the book, his eyes grew wide. He could not believe what he had. All that I hoped for and more. This is a written guide for the secrets of the Sacred Well. In my hands I hold immortality.

“Macha, you endearing little gnat,” he beamed. “I shall spare your life after all.”

“How kind of you,” Macha retorted.

“What does it say?” asked Cian.

“What does it say? It holds the key to the whole thing, old man. According to this, it was not the torc at all. That sly minx. Putting all off the trail.” Dughall’s eyes flitted frantically over the pages.

“What is the key, then?” asked Cian.

“A chalice,” replied Dughall.

“A chalice?” asked Cian.