Chapter 31: Why I Hate Bamboo

I found Madame Wong in a perfect headstand in her spot under the large maple tree in the garden. I sat in patient mediation in front of her, waiting for her to start my lesson for the day. I listened to the burbling brook that tumbled past her small meadow, and I drifted off into a state of deep relaxation. It was a shock to the system when Madame Wong finally spoke, her high-pitched croak interrupting the perfect stillness I was becoming accustomed to.

“Miss Emily ready to become warrior priestess now?”

“I don’t know if I’m ready for it, but I’ll try.”

“Only do or not do. Which is it?”

“Okay then, I choose do.”

“Ah, good choice. Come.” She gracefully exited her headstand and walked across the garden. I followed respectfully behind her a few paces as we walked through intense fog and mist to the babbling brook.

“Miss Emily has learned focus, yes?”

“Yes, I suppose so.”

“NO, NO, NO! No suppose. Focus or no focus – which is it?”

“Okay, yes, for God’s sake, I can focus! Jeez, no need to scream at me.”

“Don’t suppose. Don’t guess. Know the answer and say it. A true warrior is sure of herself. Right or wrong does not matter.”

“Well see that’s the point now, isn’t it? I’m not a 'true warrior'. And about the only thing I’m sure of is that I’m not sure of myself.”

I looked down into her eyes. She stared up at me evenly. Stalemate.

“You know focus. Time to learn awareness.”

I rolled my eyes, a knee-jerk reaction to the thought of spending more time sitting for days on end breathing. I was ready for action, not more doing nothing.

“Oh, you will have action, young one.” Her lips curled into a sly smile.

“I’m afraid to learn the answer to this, but I’ll ask it anyway. How do I learn ‘awareness’?”

“By doing laundry,” she said. Out of the nothingness appeared an enormous pile of clothes just like the ones Madame Wong wore. There were black linen pants with wide legs and a drawstring waist and long-sleeved dark blue linen shirts with cloth buttons up the front and a mandarin collar. There was also a large, metal washbasin, bar of soap and a washboard.

“I become a warrior by doing your laundry?”

“You become aware, alert and ready by doing laundry.”

“So how long do I have to stand here scrubbing your clothes until you decide I’m sufficiently aware?”

“Until all clothes are washed and hung to dry.” She pointed to a clothesline hung between two large oak trees.

“Then what?”

“Then cut the fire wood.” She pointed to a pile of logs and a hatchet that I hadn’t noticed before on the edge of the meadow. “Chop wood. Learn to be aware and alert.” Madame Wong vanished into the misty air.

I wanted to rebel. I wanted to sit down on the ground and refuse to do anything. I wanted to be back at my house, even if Muriel was there.

But I caught myself and stopped thinking about Muriel before she reared her ugly head again. I picked up a shirt and began washing the old gnat’s laundry.