Hands Off

Type: Vocaloid x Vocaloid

Main Characters: Kaito, Luka

~~~~~

The lights twinkled against my blurry vision, against the dark blues and purples of the restaurant, a messy bokeh that screwed with my head as much as the laughter of the girl beside me.

It was like a xylophone being clacked by a child, discordant and still somehow beautiful, just like her hair: tangled, coral coloured fibres that shook with her shoulders as she giggled and wrapped her slender, ivory fingers around the body of her crystalline glass of water. A slender silver bracelet hung loosely on her wrist, though her skin was so flawless that she didn't really need any jewellery.

The tuna on her plate had barely been eaten, but I could tell that she wasn't done with it yet, the way she rapped her fork against the porcelain plate and licked her lips. I sighed and looked down at my empty glass bowl. The ice cream sundae had been finished, but some chocolate sauce still dotted the bowl's rim. I lifted it and slowly ran my tongue along the edge, closing my eyes.

She laughed again. I opened my eyes and put the bowl down. The waiter was flirting with her, that's what it was. I watched as he teased her and she laughed again. I scowled. I wanted her to finish that tuna and leave. I wanted her to notice me, not him, with his purple tendrils and ghostly pale face. He hadn't known her for longer than thirty minutes, and I had class with her every day. I wasn't fair; it wasn't right.

"Excuse me," I stormed out of my seat before I started thinking rationally, "I think you should leave the young woman alone."

"Hmm?" The waiter looked at me with a wry smile. The girl turned as well. I tried to avoid her gaze because her eyes were so perfect, blue and innocent. I wouldn't be able to tell the waiter off if I looked at her.

"K-Kaito," the girl whimpered, catching me off guard. I didn't know that she knew my name. Sucking in a breath, I mustered the courage to meet her eyes.

"Luka," I said firmly, the girl's name like silk against my tongue, heavy and heavenly, like cream, "It's dangerous, getting involved with odd types like these."

"I wasn't getting involved, I was just..."

I grabbed her arm and lifted her to her feet before she could go on. The purple haired waiter scowled and walked away.

"Trust me, there's nothing those guys want but to take advantage of girls like you," I said. Luka pulled her arm out of my grip and turned away.

"Why do you care?" She whispered, "Isn't that what all guys want?"

I looked down at my shoes and raked a hand through my navy blue hair. "It's not what I want."

"Oh, please!" She started to walk away, plopping some cash down beside her plate, which still had tuna in it, "If that's not what you want, then why'd you stick your nose into my conversation two seconds ago, anyway?"

"Luka, I...I wanted to protect you!" I blurted out. She sighed and shook her head.

"You're just a boy from Algebra class," she whispered, "I don't even know you."

"You knew my name," I said.

She paused and turned to look at me, crossing her arms across her chest. "Only because the teacher keeps calling on you."

With that, she strutted out of the restaurant. I sighed and put my hands in my pockets, cursing myself silently. Now I'd never get a chance to tell her. Even if I did, it was pretty clear that I had made a wrong move, but what could I do? I didn't want anyone to touch her. I didn't want her to get hurt.