Chapter 30

I wake to the sound of arguing. It gives me my first headache of the day and I clench my teeth as I try to sit up.

"You deliberately disobeyed me and look at the outcome! Do you see what happens when you mess with things you know nothing about?"

"Give me some credit. I know a lot about witch craft. Not so much about her."

"Exactly!"

I squint my eyes in the direction of the yelling. Sam is standing with his back to me, while Sophia is sitting in the corner of the room drinking from a bottle with a sheepish and guilty expression. I'm laying on the sofa in the recovery chamber, and everything feels and sounds like a bad dream.

"What was I supposed to do, Sam?" Sophia yells. "Sit back and watch our entire unit die because you refuse to let her train?"

"Yes, that's exactly what you're supposed to do because I ordered it. You saw what happened with Milasia and what happened on that bridge. She might be on our side but her power is unpredictable."

Sophia crosses her arms and dangles the bottle from the fingertips. "I disagree."

"It was careless."

"I didn't hurt anyone did I?" I ask quietly.

Sam spins around, eyeing me furiously. I suddenly wish I was still asleep.

"Not yet," he hisses. "Thankfully you just hurt yourself this time. But I don't want you ever training on the grounds of this castle again."

"He's in denial," Sophia mutters.

"I'm not in denial, I'm being rational! This place was not built for witches to practise, the more magic she uses the more she draws attention to us. Do you get that? You're compromising our whole unit, Sophia, I don't know what the hell's gotten into you."

"This isn't Sophia's fault," I say, narrowing my eyes at him. "She just wanted to help. And she did."

I smile at Sophia and she smiles back, only for a second, before Sam glares at her.

"I don't know nor understand this bond that you two have but it is unnatural. You should know the cost of it more than anyone, Sophia. Their kind tore our lives apart, they killed our families without hesitation. I know that you have good intentions but do you think after all of this is over that she'll choose us over her own? Would you?"

"I trust her," Sophia says. "And we need her."

"Trusting her means I can no longer trust you."

"That's not fair, and hypocritical considering you took her along to Arizona but didn't care to inform us, your team."

I sink into the sofa, keeping my eyes low.

"Is that what this is about? You're defying me for not bringing you along on a potential suicide mission? Am I going senile or did I not summon you there?"

Sophia stands from the armchair, anger bursting from her eyes. "And then you sent me away. Because my life was not worth the backlash of this team seeing you fighting beside a witch! I almost died, Sam, for your pride."

"And that was the last time you obeyed an order from me," he whispers. "If you no longer trust in me as your leader then I'd rather you come out and say it."

"You knew Amara was here!" she screams. "I didn't know that. No one told me. Megan didn't tell me. But you knew. I followed your order because I thought you were genuinely concerned for Theresa's safety but you didn't give a damn about either of us."