Chapter 52

When Erin and I arrive at the first camp, still on the land of Arizona, I summon Natalia instinctively. She appears from thin air, mid-conversation with someone, it sounds like it was an argument.

"What the hell?" she demands, looking around confusingly. "Theresa, seriously, not a good time."

"You're part of my team now, remember?" I say. "I need your help right now."

"With what?" she mutters, eyeing up Erin with a scowl. It's no secret that the two of them dislike each other, because they're both level fives I'll probably have to accept that they'll always be in competition with each other, but there's more important things than that.

I look across the dry land towards the enormous building with fenced gates locked around it. There's no one else here and I'm angered by that. When I told the covens to leave the mortals alone, I didn't think they'd abandon their posts at the camps. The mortals have been left here to die.

"Oh," Natalia breathes. "That looks like a few hours of my life that I'll never get back."

"Why did you bring her here?" Erin mutters.

"Because she's a level five and she's also my advisor," I say. "And despite her hatred of everything that moves, she's a damn good witch."

"She doesn't take her job seriously," Erin says. "She hasn't trained for it. She's a liability."

"Says the one dressed like she's about to sell a house to a teenage boy," Natalia says. She laughs hysterically to herself.

"Are you drunk?" Erin demands. "Why did I ask that? Of course you are."

"It's called living, little girl. You should try it."

"Enough!" I say. "Whatever problem you two have, save it for later. I need to focus."

"I told you, it's useless," Erin says, as I walk towards the fence. "You can't break the spell!"

I touch the fence and I sense the magic from within it. Erin is right, it's powerful. I can't sense what exactly it's tied to, but I can feel that it isn't a person. The magic is strong, and unpredictable, but there's a tiny hole that allows me to see through its barricade. I use my manifestation to push that hole outwards, willing for the spell to break. I close my eyes as the fence begins to rattle. Softly, and calmly, I breathe new magic into the fence. It conflicts with Amara's magic and the fence reaches a boiling temperature, too hot for me to touch. I step backwards in anger as the fence refuses to break.

"Told you!" Erin shouts.

I clench my teeth and I hold the amulet tightly. "Samara," I say in a low voice. "The sooner the mortals are free, the sooner I can focus on the demons."

A green light forms around the amulet, and attacks the fence. I smile to myself as I join in, I touch the metal fence again, absorbing the heat that would have otherwise left me in agony. I find the hole and I continue to push it outwards; it's getting bigger and bigger; it's almost covering the whole shield. What I didn't expect, was that it would exhaust me. When the fence cracks open and the spell fizzles out, I step back and lose my balance, falling to the floor.

Natalia runs towards me and helps me up, despite insisting that I'm alright, she ignores me and tightens her hand around my arm. I start to feel dizzy, and sick, but the relief of breaking through the spell outweighs my health.

I glance at Erin, whose jaw hasn't quite shut yet, and I grin at her. Natalia takes me back to her, and we keep our distance from the fence as the whole thing starts collapsing. We cover our eyes as a wave of dust sweeps over, and then everything is silent.