Chapter 2

After meeting with Victoria, I decide to take a long walk through the remains of the city. Some parts are still livable, still resemble what was here five years ago, while other parts have been reduced to rubble and glass. Amara created a brand-new city using magic, but she couldn't be bothered to clean up the bad parts, she said they should remind the mortals of what happened here.

On the streets of Phoenix, there are still hundreds of mortals. Going about their daily lives, afraid to speak up about the drastic change they endured. It turns my stomach that they are being forced to live this way. They aren't allowed to leave without permission from Amara, which can take months because she doesn't care.

I'm one of them. I'm not allowed to leave either. Not that I'd want to, because this is my home, it has always been my home. No matter how much it changes, that can never change. Witches and warlocks patrol the streets in their certified uniforms. They do not need weapons, which makes them more terrifying. Our species can now be identified by mandatory tattoos on the inner side of our wrists. The tattoo is our witching symbol, three triangular shaped ovals which interlock to form our pathway into the next world. Almost like a rune, but it holds no power. It is just a marking to make every mortal around us scream in terror. And so far, it has worked, which is why I prefer to keep it hidden. Especially because my tattoo is a little different to every other.

I enter the herb shop on a street now renamed as Blood Avenue. Only wiccans are allowed inside the herb shop and I am forced to show my tattoo upon opening the door. The woman takes my arm without warning, and I snarl through my teeth as she drops it.

"Satisfied?" I hiss.

"Why does your tattoo have a dot in the symbol?"

I ignore her and I wander around the store, pausing at the potion section. A man is already there, his hand caressing a bottle of lemongrass, which is only used in potions involving pest control.

"What's wrong? You got too many bugs in your garden?" I say with a smirk.

In the corner of my eye, I see the warlock turn, but I do not look at him. I focus on the bottle I am searching for.

"Bats, actually," the warlock replies. "There are dozens of them in my home."

"I know the feeling. If it's bigger than a spider, you can't use lemongrass, it'll make them more violent than sleepy."

"Right, thanks. So, what would you suggest I use?"

"A window."

The warlock laughs, just as I find my bottle. I rip it from the shelf and I start to turn the corner.

"My name's Joe, what's-"

I approach the front desk, where a hard-faced, unhappy and seemingly annoyed witch is eyeing me from behind her till. When I place the bottle on the counter, she attempts to force herself a smile.

"Hello, what can I help you with?" she says, disinterested.

"I would like to buy this." I turn the bottle so that can she can read the label. Her eyes instantly widen. "Is that a problem?"

"I'm sorry, but this ingredient is restricted for category A coven members only. How old are you?"

"Old enough to use it."

"I'll need to see identification. Only experienced wiccans are permitted to use this ingredient."

"I just told you I'm old enough. And experienced enough."

The woman's eyes blink. "I don't believe you."

"Would you like me to demonstrate my power to you?" I threaten, leaning closer. In a second, the security witch from the door is marching over. I stick my arm in the air, halting the witch. "There's a dot in my symbol. Do you know what that means?"