Chapter 45

Sam sits patiently at my round kitchen table, still shirtless and teasing, while I make us a mug of fresh coffee. We've hardly spoken more than a few words to each other and I don't even know where to begin. He isn't exactly the 'cuddling in bed' type and he isn't much for 'after sex reflection' either. So, what do I say to him? How do I play this? I can't figure it out.

I slide over his coffee and our fingertips graze each other for a moment. I swallow and take a seat.

"How did you find me?" I whisper.

"I'm a good tracker," he says. "It's a talent of mine."

"You have Slayers here don't you?"

He nods, grinning at me. "Do you have a problem with that?"

"No. But I don't want to be spied on. If you're placing units back in Arizona then I want to know about it."

"I can't exactly walk down the hall and tell you," he says. "It's only been a day, Theresa, relax. It's not like I'm pushing the wiccans out of the city. I've always had eyes here; it's just now I trust you to know about it."

I glance at the window. I'm being paranoid, but for good reason. Even though I know that no one's out there, I feel as though I'm being watched. I can't shake it. I decide to change the subject, because talking about Slayers and units might just make my head explode.

"How are the humans adjusting? Did they make it to the camp okay?"

"You know they did."

I meet his low, suspicious eyes. "Do I?"

"You went back for the boy," he says. "You're very. . . protective of him."

"Am I?"

"Stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

He smiles and as he lifts his mug to his lips, his eyes look down to my chest. "Does it hurt you?"

"Does what hurt me?" I say.

"Wearing the amulet of the Elders."

I touch the crystal instinctively and I bite on my lip. It's the first time he's brought it up, and I should have known better than to assume he wouldn't recognise it.

"You know what this is?" I whisper. "But you saw me wearing it that day that Amara attacked Sophia. Why didn't you say something?"

"The amulet isn't dangerous, Theresa. Only the person wearing it is. It's just like any other weapon. It's harmless until someone yields it."

"Which is why I can't take it off this time," I sigh. "I'm in a city full of witches that will do anything to prove that they deserve to take Amara's place. I still can't believe that she's really gone. It doesn't feel real yet."

"And what a giant mess she's left you to clean up."

I look at him, sensing something more to his statement. It's true, it's a giant mess, but what else is new? Cleaning up Amara's messes is what this world is forced to be good at. I take a sip of my coffee and I choke on the courage to bring up the one thing I've been wanting to tell him since I saw him sat at the end of my bed.

"Something happened yesterday," I whisper. "I had to go back to the castle to see Curtis and. . . I was attacked."

"Attacked?" he says. "What do you mean?"

"By something that wasn't a Slayer, or a human." I widen my eyes at him but he just stares back at me. "It was a demon."

"That's impossible."