TSC3

“It will locate the one.” It dangled, sparkling off the lights. Calem wanted to reach for it, but she had already tricked him once.

    “Calem, I could kill you if I so choose, and haven’t now take it and leave.” Grabbing the rock he examined it, stuffing his hand into a pouch before glaring at her.    

    “Ye will die.”

    “I no,” She nodded, flicking her wrist again. Twisting around he didn’t have a choice in the matter, she was right, he’d stand no chance against the Imperial man. Calem was going to have to abide his time, search for her heir. Swiping a cloak from an unoccupied tent, Calem could feel the wet coldness sliding off her shoulders. It was new to him, the shivers that started were also alarming. Keeping out of sight he made his way back into the forest, giving a fleeting look at the large group of men who just entered her tent.

Years pass giving Calem time to infiltrate the Roman army, he makes certain to be sent where ever Duvessa is sent. He’s known for some time now, that she is well aware of his presents. Lowering himself to a servant was more than he could take, but in hopes his power would be returned to him, Calem would suck it up. Duvessa’s has been seen walking about the campsite with her husband, a man Calem has grown to despise. Besides his ruthless behavior, he’s also sleeping with the one woman Calem had found himself attracted to.

The way she walks likes she’s floating on air, bring Calem to his knees. Her voice is sultry, even a singing bird couldn’t compare. Duvessa laughs thou she is not happy, her pain has increased. Turning slight her eyes eminently find Calem’s, the man’s persistence is something she craves. Everywhere she goes he is sure to follow, just being in his presents stirs her soul. Tullius her husband has been seen on more than one account bashing Calem, her fear that he’s caught on to Calem’s eyes searching her is enough to worry Duvessa.

She can’t afford to have anything happen to Calem, confessing her love for him only to herself was enough. But his safety was her main concern, Duvessa would have to have her husband’s mind changed about Calem soon. She could tolerate anyone hurting such a man, had she not taken his powers, Calem could defend himself along with her. Sitting down with her husband she touched his leg, giving him a smile when he looked to her.

    “Yes my dear?” Taking her hand in his, kissing the top.

    “I have a favor to ask,” Using her charm to win him over more, anything to blind the stupid man.

    “Anything, for you.”

    “I would like to pick the caretaker of our kin,” He nodded, kissing her cheek.

    “Who would you like?”

    “Him,” Duvessa looked to Calem, who was busy brushing down Tullius’s horse. Tullius frowned turning back to his woman, had she gone mad, asking such a request.

    “My dear, what would a man know of a baby?”

    “I believe him to be more than capable, it is all I request,” Duvessa’s fingers rubbed against his hard hand. Looking back at Calem, Tullius nodded. If she desired him to be a care taker, then so be it.

    “Fetch him,” He snapped to a lower ranking solider standing off to the side, bowing his head he took off for Calem. Grabbing his arm he brought Calem before Duvessa and Tullius, giving her a questionable look before getting a kick to the back knocking him to his knees.

    “Was that necessary?” She growled, rising to her feet. Calem felt her soft fingers once again gliding over his bruised skin, it felt so right to have her this close.

    “Leave us,” Tullius waved the solider off, Calem looked up a little through his long dark hair. Her eyes sucking the air from his lungs, helping him up Duvessa smiled warmly at him.

    “My wife has requested you be our babies’ caretaker.” Calem felt as though a knife had been plunged into his heart, turning a little to see Duvessa. 

He wondered how cruel she could be, to have him watch a life that wasn’t made between them. How could he not strike the infant down, knowing it wasn’t his? Duvessa tightened her grip on his arm a little, it felt like a reassuring grip, if he had to guess. Her eyes looked to Tullius nodding, she turned back to Calem’s.

    “You’d be at my service, would that be alight?” It wasn’t common for a male to watch a child of a high ranking family, but the way she said ‘service’ lead Calem to believe he’d be with her all the time. Seeing a different side of the picture, Calem nodded his head.

“As you wish my lady,” Bowing, Duvessa’s heart twisted at the sight of such a man bowing to her, he’d had plenty of opportunities to take her life. Tears pricked that back of her eyes, she’d never want to see Calem bow to anyone, especially not her.

    “Good, then its settled. Come summer you shall, care for my family.” Calem’s head snapped up, eyes wide. Duvessa was due in a few months? How did he not foresee that? His eyes wandered to her belly. The fabric covering her hid most of the lump, but he could see it now that he was actually looking. Duvessa let him go allowing him some space, she’d seen the extra hurt flash before her.

    “Yes sir.” Bowing once more, swearing under her breath she couldn’t take much more of that.

Calem returned to his duties, keeping an eye on her. How foolish of a man had he turned into not to notice something like that, especially about the woman he was in love with. Summer….was only a little ways away, then she’d be giving birth to that horrid man’s offspring. Calem gripped the brush tighter, images of him slitting Tullius’s throat was his only relief.

A few more months past, giving Calem more reasons to stay by her side. She spoke to him more freely than anyone else, laughed more as well. He’d seen her face relax when he walked into the room, even if it was just to check on her. Duvessa was suffering, not only with the life inside her but the two powers as well. They were only eased when she bathed in warm water, but slowly that wasn’t working. They’d come to terms with each other residing in her body, but would clash like siblings. When that happened she’d wake up in a heap of sweat, screaming out in pain. Tullius brushed it off as pregnancy issues, and soon he stopped sleeping with her.

Calem came to Duvessa every time, cooling her face with a cloth while talking in hushed tones. His soft touch was her saving grace, no matter what he still didn’t leave her. It tore her apart inside, feeling of love, lust and desire were all she could take. But the mere thought of the man forgiving what she had done, killed her deep down inside. If she could have given him his power back, even if it cost her, her life she would have.

    “Forgive me Calem, I meant you well,” Tears streamed down her cheeks, soaking up the mattress. Pushing a piece of hair out of her eyes, he nodded.

    “Aye no,” Her eyes snapped shut, turning away from him. She wished he’d just kill her, scream yell, break something. All this calm compassion was enough to send her body into an early delivery, her screams for the wet nurse ran through the house. Soon the room was filled with three other woman, dressed in white holding many items for her. Calem held her hand keeping his lips to her ear, whispering anything kind he could think of.