Chapter Twelve

"What in the world is going on here?" I almost choked. My father was sitting on Seth's couch. Seth looked mad and my dad was sitting there, dried tear streaks on his face. I wasn't ready to go home I've only been here a week or two. I want to learn more about him more about his God even. I just, couldn't leave now. HE looked at me. 

"Why on earth would you do something like this? Your mother and I were worried sick!" He almost started to cry again. I actually kind of felt bad.

"I don't know how or even if I can justify that I ran away. I couldn't take it anymore, mom was just driving me crazy, and-" He cut me off with a hand flying around. 

"Don't give me any of your crap! I don't even want to hear it! You're coming home with me." He started to come towards me, but I ran across the room and stood behind Seth.

"No! I don't want to leave! I like it here. People actually appreciated, and love me." He stopped and stared at me. 

"Is that what you thought. We don't love you? Or appreciate you? That's why you left?" He looked mad. 

"I needed a break, and I just don't think that the break is up yet." I stood straight up behind the couch. I felt good after I said it. I felt like a grown woman who can make her own decisions. At the point there was a knock on the door. I, trying to avoid the question, ran to open the door. 

"Oh hi!" Christian was at the door. 

"Hi" He laughed. "You uh, left this in my car." He handed me my jacket. I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I just giggled.

"Ha, thanks." I took it and hung it over my arm. I kissed him and was about to say goodnight when, 

"Who the heck is that?" My dad says. "We were in the middle of something." 

"Whoa, who's yelling?" He looked sort of concerned. 

"No one. Thanks for bringing my jacket back." I kissed his cheek and started to say goodnight. My dad came up behind me. 

"Who are you?" He sounded like he was mad.

"Oh, I'm Christian. Who are you? If I can ask that." Christian stood a little straighter.

"I'm her father. What are you doing here, other than to be an obnoxious twit." That's when Seth stepped in.

"He's a nice boy and a part of my youth group. Please don't say anything like that." He stepped up behind my dad. 

"Won't you come in?" I grabbed a hold of his arm and lead him over to the couch. He sat down and I sat as close to him as I could get without sitting on his lap. Only to tick my dad off. 

"I'm really confused. What's going on?" Christian said. 

"Well, Harper ran away from home. How she even found out about Seth is, just." He squeezed the bridge of his nose. Christian looked confused. 

"Wait, what?" He scooted away from me."What are you talking about?" This couldn't have happened at a worst time. 

"Come here." I said. I grabbed his hand and lead him up to my room. I sat him down on my bed. "Listen, that is all true. I did run away from home. I only did it because I felt unappreciated." He stopped. 

"Look," He got off the bed. "I uh, don't know if we should, yeah." He looked at me, then just walked away. I just sat there on the bed. I didn't want it to end like that, or even at all. I laid on the bed. I heard the front door shut. That's it. He's gone. I walked downstairs. I was crying and nobody even seemed to care. I got to the end of the steps when I heard voices. 

"Listen, she's doing really well here. Just let her stay a little longer." I heard Seth's plea. My dad didn't sound like he was going to let that happen. 

"So, you want me to reward her for running away? That's not even close to happening." I heard him get up and I started to retreat to the stairs. Seth stopped him. 

"All I'm asking for is three weeks. Just three." No one said anything. 

"Three, Seth. Three. No more." I heard him stomp out of the door. I ran out into the living room, but before I even said thank you,

"You better not screw this up." He shook his head and walked past me up to his room. I really can't screw this up.