Chapter One: Harper

"Excuse me?" Tina Screamed at me. "March yourself up those stairs, now!" This is just another one of the many times I've come home late and not called. I, personally, don't think it's that big of a deal. I was like, ten minutes late. Besides, it's not like she actually cares about my safety. 

"No." I smirked. "I don't think so. You want me in my room that bad? File a missing persons report." I grabbed my stuff off the couch and stomped out the front door. I fumbled for my keys in the bottom of my bag and found one of my mom's credit cards. Revenge is sweet. 

My dad was just pulling in when I got to my car. He saw how angry I was, and said, "Oh great. You guys fighting again?" He actually had the nerve to sound annoyed. 

"Whatever." I replied nastily. I violently pulled open my car door. I got in and slammed it as hard as I could. "Where am I even going?" I thought aloud. I laid my head on the steering wheel. I stuck my key in the ignition and started the car. 

Once I got out onto the road, I pulled out my phone and dialed Bryce's number. We've been best friends since pre-k. 

"Hey." He yawned. He always sleeps for about an hour after school. Football practice just takes so much out of him. 

"Hey kid. Sleep much?" I laughed, my hair falling into my face.  

"You bet. Ha ha. So what can I do you for?" 

"I want to know if you can meet me in town. I want to talk." 

"Well," He fumbled around in his room. "I'm thinking, I can meet you in about, ten minutes. Sound good?" I could hear the squirts of cologne he was spraying. 

"You know what? I'm going to just come over. I'm going to pass it anyway."

"Okay. That's cool. My mom isn't home anyway." He said with a smile hidden in his tone. His mom doesn't like me very much. Never has. Since about, 7th grade, she's been trying to keep him away from me.

"What's her problem with me anyway?" I said turning onto his road.

"She thinks I spend too much time with you."

"Oh really, since the seventh grade? Besides, I hear she's spending an awful lot of time with Mr. Porter." I giggled. 

"Hey man, that's my mom."

"Ha ha. Okay. I'm almost there."

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye." I hung up my phone and shoved it into my purse. 

I drove down the road only five more minutes, before I got to his driveway. I got out of my car, walked up to the door, and almost knocked. I looked around for the key box. Mrs. Johnston used to hide it in her flower pot on her porch. I grabbed it and unlocked the door. I walked in and put the box on the counter in the kitchen. 

I walked through the dining room and into the living room. The house was eerily quiet. Not so unusual for a Wednesday afternoon. Everyone is gone. I walked up the stairs in the living room and past Bryce's sisters's room. Her door was covered in flowers and butterflies. 

I got to his door and heard him rustling around. I slowly grabbed the handle and pushed the door as fast as I could and let out a blood curdling scream. He practically jumped out of his skin.

"Oh my god, Harper!" He screeched. His face was as red as a rose. Pure embarrassment. 

"Ha ha ha. You know you love me." I said entering his room with an ear to ear grin.

"Yeah, maybe. I have to think about it." I walked over to him and hugged him. That's when I noticed.

"Hey. You kind of have no pants on. Nice teddy bears." He laughed and pulled on the pants by his feet.

"Thanks for letting me know. Ha ha ha. What did you want to talk about?"

"Well, this is what happened." I rehashed the argument with my mom just a little bit earlier. Once I was done he just looked confused.

"Is that it? I thought you hated when we talked about your mom?" He wrapped his arms around me as we sat on his bed. I laid my head on his strong shoulder.

"Well, sort of. I think I might just leave. Go to Los Angeles. I want you to go with me." I lifted my head up to see his reaction. 

"I don't know Harper. I mean, that's really far." He trailed off and let go of me. I grabbed his hand before he could walk away. 

"Please? If you don't want to stay we can come back. I promise." I gave him the best puppy dog look I could muster up. 

He took one long look at me. "God! You know I can't say no to you." He laughed and gently shoved me over onto his pillow. "When are you wanting to leave?" He walked over to his closet. 

"Well, I was thinking I would leave tonight." He glanced back at me.

"That's cool." He started shoving things into his bag.

"Hey, grab your Morehead State hoodie. It's my favorite." He laughed and threw it back at me.

"Here, miss bossy." He laughed. Once he was done packing. He grabbed his phone and started for the door."You coming?" 

I jumped off the bed and went over to him. "Yep. I need to go to my house though. Meet me there."