Chapter 3: Nico di Angelo and the terrible hospital food

"Mamma how much longer?"

Nico complained as he lay in his hospital bed, Maria sat in one of the uncomfortable plastic hospital chairs. Nico had so many pins and needles in his arms he felt like he was from Melanie Martinez's Mrs. Potato head Official video.

However, Nico was far from getting plastic surgery for his man. No, he lies in bed with a maybe deadly illness, after a wondrous night that could have been the thing that triggered it. At least I was right...no outside force hurt me...just my stupid shit body that did! He thought bitterly as he looked down at the IV in his hand. He just sat there. Waiting. Waiting for someone. A nurse, a doctor, glowing with the excitement of the news he got to go home. But no one came.

-

Even repeated games of playing Pokémon on his DS got boring after a while. He was all alone because his parents were at work and all his friends were at school, including Will.

The door opens and Nico jumps, he waits for someone to emerge with some big cheesy grin on their face saying something like congratulations! Your being released from this hell hole! But, the doctor had a grim face. Nico was right though, he was being released. The doctor, Mr. Fletcher informed him that he was going home and his boyfriend would be coming to pick him up, he breathed a silent sigh of relief, even though he sure adored that terrible hospital food.

"I informed your mother about your condition, we diagnosed you last night while you were asleep"

"Took you long enough"

Doctor Fletcher smiled kindly with patience Nico would only dream to understand. "I apologize Mr. di Angelo for the wait. But, the wait is over"

"Yeah if my late ass boyfriend's actually on time for once in his life" he grumbles.

"I assure you, he will be punctual"

"How'd you know?" A look of mischief in this man's eyes that Nico still didn't comprehend.

Will bursts in, his blond hair tousled, he was wearing a doctor's coat a bit similar to the one Dr. Fletcher wore. Nico put two and two together.

"Will's an intern?!" He gawked.

The blond nodded, blushing. The closer he got the more details Nico took in. The dark circles under his eyes, the way he smiled, how it looked relieved, how he appeared to look Nico in the eyes less and less, and how his hair was pulled back with a hair tie. Nico didn't even know his hair was long enough to fit in one.

"Ready to go home darlin'?" Will asked, offering his hand.

-

They walked outside the hospital hand in hand, Nico was wearing Will's dark blue sweatshirt and a pair of his baggy black jeans, all he could say was he was very glad to be wearing jeans again.

Nico saw his motorcycle parked in the parking lot. His mouth gaped, he wasn't exactly sure what to expect, he'd never seen Will drive more than his Father's red sports car. He assumed he'd like drive his mom's car or something. "Will!" Nico hissed

Will gave an easy smile "yes sweetheart~?"

He blushes and lets go of Will's hand "nothing jackass, just hand me my helmet" he said with an edge to his voice and Will's laughter echoing in the cols empty neighborhood as they drove out.

-

Will was a much better driver than Nico, Nico soon decided. He drove smooth across the road unlike Nico. There wasn't a single jerk up as they spend through neighborhoods, Nico held onto Will even if there wasn't really a need to, his head leaned on Will's back, taking in his scent as the world passed by with them in a blur of houses, trees, lawns and smiling families or children with dogs or cats.

It was beautiful even though it was the middle of winter. The trees where bare the weather was harsh. But the atmosphere still felt warm in some way. Friendly. Loving. Like Christmas, curled up in blankets, sleeping in late, buying a chocolate laté, or walking in the snow with your lover. Nico really liked winter.

Soon they had parked at Nico's house. They walked in the front door instead of sneaking 'round the back like usual when Nico snuck out, since his mother knew he was returning. She was in the living room, sobbing. Nico's jaw dropped. He tugged and pulled at his helmet strap in attempt to get it off quick, then Will walks calmly to Nico and unlocked it. He doesn't even give it time to be embarrassed as he rushed to Maria's side.

Nico cupped his hands on his mother's cheeks "mamma what's the matter?" She appears to sob harder when she sees its Nico.
Tears roll off her cheeks, she looks a mess, Nico still held onto his mother tight even if she would always be awkwardly bigger.

"Will? Blanket?" Nico says softly. Will nods as he drags a blanket over her.

"Momma, I'm gonna go and get you that drink that you like so much okay? You stay right here with Will. He'll take good care of you" Nico promised as he kissed his mother's forehead, heading off and putting his helmet on again, glancing one last time at Will with a grim face and he got on his bike, after remembering how to take the break off not so heroically. Nico was off.

I hate winter Nico thought bitterly as the wind swept his hair.

~
In case you've never seen the Mrs. Potato head official video I added it right here for ya 😉