Too Good To Be True (Chapter 18)

Recap:

Before Harry could say anything we pulled up at the hospital. After lots of x-rays and ages waiting i found out i had one broken rib (the same one that i had broken before), bruised a few other ribs, a fractured leg (Which needed a cast, great), a cracked skull and concussion. The doctor told me, along with everyone else who were there as well, that i was to be woken up every hour, if i went to sleep and i was given medication for the pain.

We left and returned to my house. I asked the question on everyone's mind "What do we do know."

Harry simply replied "We wait."

*****************************************************

Chapter 18

'Waiting' meant going about everyday business. Jessica had said she would be back and none of us doubted her. The only thing none of us knew was WHEN she would be back.

I was glad there was a weekend ahead of us, it gave us chance to come up with a story about my injuries and i needed to rest. My head was killing me, and so were most parts of my body. We all agreed to meet up tomorrow at my house, and everyone left except for Adrian.

"Let's get you to bed." He told me.

Even though my eyes were dropping and i could barely stay awake i objected "I got a concussion, can't sleep. I also have to think of some way to explain my injuries." The last bit ended up being mumbled.

Adrian just laughted under his breath and picked me up bridal style "You can come up with them in your sleep." I rested my head against his shoulder and was fast asleep before he even left the living room. But as soon as i was out of it i was back again. Adrian woke me up every hour on the hour and asked me a few simple questions, including how i was feeling before he let me go back to sleep again.

By the time morning came around i had three people in my room. Cory and Rob had turned up to let us both sleep, seeing as they had had some sleep. They both woke, both of us up every hour because Adrian had also been hit in the head more than be classed as healthy, not tat being hit in the head at all is good for your health in anyway. The good thing about the disjointed sleep meant i didn't dream and i was thankful for that.

It was 1pm when i finally gave up on sleep and got up. Adrian got up as well even though he had barely 6 hours of sleep. I only just realised how bad i must smell, turning red i started to head to the bathroom when Adrian stopped me, Cory and Rob had gone to make lunch while we dressed. "What's up?" He asked noticing my red face.

"I just realised i probably stink, and that you had to put up with it." I told him, going even redder, if that was possible.

Adrian laughed and i started to turn away again but he wrapped his arms around my waiste and said "You smell fine, just like you." He kissed me on the lips and i kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his neck. This was our first kiss since Tuesday but it felt as if it had been alot longer. I started to tingle where we touched and deepend the kiss. This, being here in Adrian's arms, made me feel safe and loved, even after everything had happend. We stopped, resting our foreheads against each other's, our breath mingled and a smile grew on my face. "It's good to see you smiling again." Adrian told me. I kissed him once more lightly before, picking out some clothes and going to have a shower.

The shower took longer than i had anticipated, this was because i couldn't get any of my casts or bandages wet, and there were alot of them, so it was slow going. By the time i had finished, the house was silent which was odd, seeing as there were three other people in it.

As i walked down the stairs i heard someone crying, so i hurried as best as i could and walked into the living room to find Cory crying into Rob's shoulder while Adrian tried to stop Neil from bleeding. I ran over and saw that it was a bullet hole in his left shoulder. Looking at it i saw that it had luckily missed the heart but knew from training that he could still die from blood loss or shock.

"Have you called an abulance?" I asked everyone. Rob nodded and i went about my next task. I saw that Adrian had the wound under control so i tried to keep Neil calm. "Hey Neil. You know if you wanted to come round you didn't need to go to all this trouble."

He looked shocked by my injuries at first, but then he smiled and replied "This, this is nothing. You should see what i did for Cory's 12th birthday. Now that was trouble." I heard Cory's tear filled laugh and thought this story might be good as a distraction.

"Really? Well, i find that hard to believe, what d'you do?" I asked. I genuinly wanted to know as well because it sounded like a good story.

He looked grateful for the distraction and started his story. "Well, i had set up a surprise party and followed a recipe i was given to make a cake. It was a saturday so i'd given her some money to go buy what she wanted from the shop."

"I remember that. You told me not to spend it all on sweets but i think i did anyway." Cory added. She was still crying but not as badly and she was now able to look at her Dad.

"You did too. You were obsessed with sweets back then." He gave her a small smile before continuing "While she was gone people came and helped set up. I remember Rob asking to inspect the cake, saying he was only going to check if it Cory'd like it but he'd have to be alone with the cake."

"You laughed for ages at that. I thought it was quite a good ploy at the time." Rob admitted, getting into the story as well.

"That it was. It was the first time i'd heard that one. When she came back we all jumped out and shouted surprise, but i got my foot caught on some low hanging decorations. When i tripped it pulled all the decorations down, i was trying to stay standing but ended up falling face first onto the cake. Everything went silent and i got up turned to face Cory and said 'Happy Birthday Cory' and she burst out laughing along with everyone else."

"I thought you had fallen on purpose. When i realised you hadn't and you looked at me, i couldn't not laugh, you just looked so funny." Cory explained.

I could hear an ambulance coming and needed to ask what happened before Neil was taken away. "I see what you mean now." I told him, in reply to his story. "I'm sorry, but i need you to tell me what happend to you."

He took a deep breath and winced then told me "Cory told me what happend and i told her i would come round later to see how you and Adrian were doing. I was coming up to your front door when i thought i heard a noise behind me. I turned saw nothing and was starting to turn back but something hit me. I didn't realise i was shot until, the front door opened and Cory started crying."

"Could you tell me what direction the bullet came from?" I asked. I had a bad feeling about this.

He thought for a moment "I was turning to my left, so i think it came from my right, where the bushes are." He told me.

"Okay. Cory keep your dad calm and talking, i'm going to go check out the bushes." I told them.

Adrian started to protest but Rob interrupted him "I'll come with you." I was about to object because he could be hurt but Rob carried on talking "You can barely walk Ash and there's nothing for me to do here." He had a point so i nodded and we left Cory and Adrian to their work.

I wanted to check out the bushes before the ambulance turned up incase the person was still there.We didn't need anymore bullets flying and we could really do without getting anymire injuries or getting killed. When i got to the door i turned to face Rob before opening it "We don't know if they're still there. So, keep moving and keep changing direction, that way they won't be able to get a lock on you." I told him. He nodded.

I opened the front door and hit the fall crawled forward then rolled over crawled again and rolled back the other way. I kept doing this varying the order i did it in until i got to the bush. We must of looked bizzare to the neighbours but it couldn't be helped. When i got to the bushes i looked at the front door quickly, saw where the blood stain was and guessed where the person would have to be. I got to the spot and found nothing. I looked around but still couldn't find anything. I got out of the bushes and studied the whole street quickly. I didn't see anything out of place, the ambulance pulled up and i opened the front door for them. The person who shot Neil was long gone but i think i knew who it was anyway.

"Find anything?" Neil asked. I thought he deserved to know who i suspected.

I looked at him and said "Nothing but i know who it was" The medics had left for a second and i took the opurtunity to tell them "Jessica."