Too Good To Be True (Chapter 7)

Recap:

"Are you sure, your alright?" He said, searching my eyes for the answer.

"Yeah, I really am." I told him then kissed him gently, once, on the lips. "Let's go have some dinner." I helped him up and we left holding hands.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 7

After dinner we went into the living room. I sat next to Adrian on the sofa and he had his arm wrapped around me while discussing the book with Sarah. I added a few things here or there but was mostly quiet, happy to have Adrian next to me after I thought I lost him.

At 9pm the conversation started to thin out and Adrian let out a yawn that I echoed. "I think you two should go to bed and get some sleep." Sarah said, sounding just like a parent.

I didn't object and while Adrian went to wash his cup, I said to Mark and Sarah "Thank you for letting Adrian come and talk to me." It was the best thing I could think to say and it conveyed what I meant.

"It's alright." Mark replied and then messed up my hair, his favourite thing to do. I ducked away laughing and headed upstairs. I jumped in the shower and then changed into my spare pjs after brushing my teeth.

Adrian was already changed and in bed. When he saw me come out of the bathroom he lifter up the covers for me to get in next to him. I crawled under and curled up against him. He learned down and kissed me gently on the lips, making me instantly relax and feel warm at the same time. He kissed my forehead then whispered "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." I whispered back and, with a feeling a lot like contentment, let the world fall away from me.

The next morning we were both up and out of the house half an hour earlier. We were going to see if anyone decided to pay the draw at the back of the classroom an early visit. After last night's peaceful sleep I felt energised and ready for anything, or so I thought.

When we arrived at school there were no students to be seen which wasn't really surprising. We made it to the classroom with plenty of time to spare. "I just remembered that we didn't search the old janitor's closet in the basement. I could go check it now and be back in ten minutes." Adrian said.

I thought about it and then said "Sounds like a good idea. I'll stay here and keep an eye on the draw." He nodded then left. It shouldn't take him long because that closet hadn't been used for years and was probably empty. I spent the ten minutes going over what we were going to be looking at in history today. I liked history so the time flew by.

Only five minutes had passed by the time I had finished reading the history notes. I decided to go see if Adrian needed any help. The draw would be safe alone for a few minutes but just in case I left my bag on my desk and inside it I left my phone peeking out, so it could record the draw while I was away.

When I got near the janitor's closet I could hear voices. I recognised Adrian's but, although it sounded familiar, I couldn't place my finger on the other one.

I approached quietly and stopped when I was close enough to hear what they were saying. "...resorting to?" I heard Adrian ask in disgust.

"If that's what it takes." The other voice answered in the sickly sweet voice that I hated. Jessica. Yesterday's events started flashing through my mind, it was like it was repeating all over again or Deja vu. Except, this time, I wasn't going to run away.

I was about to march straight into the closet and give Jessica a piece of my mind and also a work out with my fists (I know violence is never the answer but this was the exception. Jessica really needed to be taught a lesson she wouldn't forget any time soon), when Adrian said something that I didn't understand.

"You have nothing on me, so I going to leave." Adrian told her. I wished I had my phone on me now! I didn't know what was going on but something wasn't right and if I recorded it and it turned out to be important I would have proof and if it wasn't I could always delete it afterwards.

"I have nothing on you." Jessica said, emphasising the you. "But I have plenty on that little slut you like so much." I couldn't see her but her voice sounded as if she was smirking. Who was she calling a slut?! I'm not the one who goes prancing around in dish cloths which she calls clothes!

"What are you talking about?" Adrian asked. He sounded threatening and I made a note to myself to never get on his bad side.

"I know that slut is a spy for this old dude that she's probably sleeping with." Jessica explained. I froze. JESSICA, the same girl who tormented everyone, WAS THE CONTACT?!

I was speechless and by the sound of it so was Adrian. I really hadn't suspected her, I honestly didn't think she was smart enough to do something like this. Oh, how wrong I was.That's why you should never judge a book by it's cover.

Now your probably thinking why don't I go and call Harry and tell him we found the contact and end all of this? Simple, I can't. I don't know who else is involved with Jessica, I don't know how many other people know about me and, most importantly, I don't know what she plans to do with this information and who she's already given it to. At the moment Jessica was holding all the cards, and she knew it.

"I thought you knew, well apart from the whole sleeping-with-the-old-dude part. So you'll OVO want to break up with her. I mean she's such a slut and not even pretty." Jessica paused. I had no idea what was going on, other than what I could hear, because I was a few metres away from the closed door. "O.M.G! Fine! If you're not going to totally ditch that slut, I'll make you. Break it off with her and be my new bf, or I will tell everyone about the slut being a spy."

I had no idea what Adrian was going to say. He said he would never hurt me but his choice was now between breaking up with me to save me from the danger of everyone knowing I was a spy or not breaking up with me and having everyone find out. Either way pain for me was a sure thing.

I decided to save him from answering. He didn't know I was here yet so I walked back quickly and quietly to the bottom of the stairs and started walking loudly toward the janitor's closet. "Adrian?" I called out, pretending not to have been listening.

There was some shuffling and muttering before Adrian came out of the closet. He looked a bit off but I ignored it, playing ignorant for the moment. "What took you so long?" I asked pretending to be annoyed.

"Sorry, it was messier that I thought it would be." Adrian replied and I had a feeling he was talking about Jessica showing up and giving him an ultimatum. We got back to the classroom that was still empty. I walked over to my bag and turned off the camera.

Then I turned to Adrian who was leaning against the drawer that held the draw with the secret compartment. I wrapped my hands around his neck kissed him lightly on the lips before whispering in his ear "It's okay, I heard everything."

He stiffened for a moment then relaxed slightly. "Thank God," He whispered back, letting out a sigh that tickled my ear. "What do we do?" He asked.

"I don't know, yet. We need to think everything through." I told him truthfully. Then I had part of an idea. I went over to the draw with the secret compartment in it and took out all the information, quickly stuffing it into my bag. I saw Adrian's questioning look and explained "She knows you know and if she finds this stuff-" I indicated the papers I had put in my bag. "- is missing she will probably assume that's how you found out."

"True. There's one small problem. I have to tell her my answer by lunch today or she'll tell everyone anyway." Adrian told me regretfully. It had only been fifteen minutes since we first entered the classroom and so much had already happened.

"Come on, let's ditch and plan." I told him taking hold of his hand and leading him out of the classroom.

Just as we were leaving the classroom Cory came running out of the basement. She ran straight up to us slightly breathless and said quietly but seriously "I know everything." Crap.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I know this has been a long time coming, but it's finally here. I decided to change the plot completely so it would have been up earlier if I hadn't but I think, well hope, you like this. Thanks for being patient :)