Too Good To Be True (Chapter 16)

Recap:

For some reason Jessica struck out, slapping, punching and clawing at me. I was on the verge of blacking out for the third time when she stopped took a deep breath and said with malous "You left your sister alone." She paused took another deep breath and continued. "Your own sister, you promised never to leave, not ever. Not after what happened to Mum and Dad."

I gasped. No. No, it couldn't be. But she had said Mum and Dad not her Mum and Dad. Tears flooded my vision as i asked in a small voice, both filled with hope and pain "May?"

**************************************

Chapter 16

I got slapped three more times for saying it. Jessica, by the looks of it only just managed to stop herself from hitting me again. Then she stared me in the eyes and said with hatred in her voice "Don't you ever call me that. You lost the right to, when you left me."

I was in an emotional worldwind, so didn't reply. May was dead. I know, i saw. Then i realised something, that gave me the strength to break the hold on my right hand and bring it across Jessica's face. I was restrained quickly and while Jessica was still in shock, i spoke in a cold voice "You.Are.Sick. You can't be my sister. You're my age!"

Jessica recovered from my slap, and replied "No, i'm not. Everyone assumed i was, so i didn't correct them. I really am 14."

"But you can't be May! You can't! She's dead, i saw her with my own eyes!" I screamed at Jessica. I couldn't take this, it was worse than being beaten.

"Let me explain." Jessica said in a cold, calm voice. "You remember when we lived with Claire and Richard Yikes? And how, if we did one small thing wrong he would hit us?" She didn't give me chance to answer, just continued. "One night, when you were made to do the dishes, i went back to our room. I was tired, and only four, so forgot to put my stuff away. Richard came in and grabbed me by the throat and screamed in my face. I couldn't scream, i tried to get his hands from around my throat but nothing worked. I couldn't breath. My eyes were almost all the way closed when i saw you, standing in the doorway. I thought you had come to save me, but, no, you ran away. YOU RAN AWAY!" She screamed the last part and i could see tears rolling down her cheeks.

I hadn't realised i was crying, until i couldn't see properly. All that was going through my mind was, no. no, this can't be true. May's dead. No. Not true. I couldn't believe that Jessica was really May, my little sister, the one i failed to protect.

"I thought i'd died, but i woke up in the neighbours garden, in the bushes at the end. I remembered what happened but when i went back to the house everyone was gone. you, YOU, who promised to never leave me, YOU left me. ALONE. I decided to try and find you, i walked and walked calling your name until my voice was raw. I was finally found by a women but i wouldn't talk. She took me in and they forged papers about my birth, and brought me here. They thought i was six, and they asked my name, i told them Jessica. They explained that i had been living with relatives because i was very sick. They were the sick ones. They were just like Claire and Richard. They still are."

"You were blue! BLUE! I thought you were dead, you weren't moving. I ran away to phone the police. They never said they didn't find you, i went your funeral! Everyone thought, thinks, you're dead!" I told her. I wanted her to understand that i would never have left her if i'd known.

Looking at Jessica i saw everything i had missed before. She had the same green eyes, as me and our mum. Where i had taken after mum with the rest of it, she had taken after dad. She had his blonde hair, and nose, and even the way of walking around like him.

"You still left me alone!" She shouted right back.

"I'm sorry, if i'd known, i would of done things differently. I never meant to leave you on your own." I told her, begging her to believe me. I needed her to know the truth.

"You left me alone, when you promised. It's all your fault. I grew up being beaten constantly and being hated and all that's your fault. You promised we would leave the Yikes but you always said we had to wait. It's your fault that i almost died. EVERYTHING that happend is your fault and i hate you for it."

That did it, it was like a final blow and i crumpled. I wasn't able to hold myself up anymore. Everything she was saying was true. If we had just left when i first said, no of this would have happend. The worst thing was knowing she grew up without me and because i hadn't made the right decision, she had suffered for it. Even after the Yikes, she said that her parents now beat her. Knowing that, just made me shut down. I could only look at the floor, while two men held me in an up right position.

"It's not her fault." I heard Adrian say but couldn't move to look at him. I had forgotten he was here.

"It's ALL her fault, or weren't you listening?" I heard Jessica snap angrilly. "That's why i'm doing all this. When she first came here i recognised her straight away. I started following her and worked out she was spying for that guy, Harry. Then i worked out who she was spying on. I sold Victor the information on her. I wanted her to suffer as much as i did, but then she was saved. After you two started going out and i found a knew way to hurt her, everyone could she how much she cared for you. If i took you away from her then she would know what it felt like to loose everything you cared about. She doesn't deserve to be happy."

"You can't blame her for any of it. You could have changed things yourself. It's not her fault." Adrian insisted.

"It is though." I said. "It's all my fault. She's right." I had always blamed myself for her death, and now, knowing she had lived, but lived a life that was worse than death, made something in me break. "I don't deserve to be happy." Tears were falling down my face. I would never be able to make it up to Jessica. I deserved everything she did to me and worse, much worse. "I'm so sorry." I whispered, but because it was silent in the room, it carried.

"SORRY! You're SORRY! As if that makes it all better. As if that makes it all alright." Jessica screamed, i could hear her coming closer to me. I heard a clicking noise and found myself dropped to the floor, which Jessica standing over me. I knew what was coming and didn't even try to stop it or protect myself. I deserved it.

Jessica started kicking me in the stomach and then she snapped and went wild, throwing punches all over the place and pulling my hair and i just let her. I could hear Adrian struggling and saying "Stop it Jessica. Ash, protect yourself." He said both over and over but i didn't listen.

When Jessica stopped and stood up, i stayed where i was. "That wasn't as satisfing as i thought it would be. I think it's time to end things." Jessica said, She pulled something out from behind her back and it took me a minute to recognise the object. It was a gun. "Literally."

I close my eyes and waited for it all to end. I was finally getting what i deserved. I heard Adrian trying to get Jessica to stop, and felt guilty for putting him through this. I hoped when i was gone Adrian would find someone who was worthy of him and then there was a metallic bang.