C H A P T E R 23

Let's just say Jake is very competitive. Yesterday when we did the sandcastle contest, the winners ended up being Caden and Mason since, in Mike's words, was well built and very sturdy.

Ours on the other hand, looked like it just got run over by a truck which was driven by someone who had way too much to drink.

It was practically collapsing when Jake and I began building it. Another reason for Jake to hate Mason...great. But Jake was supposedly the "master" at everything, so I decided not to ruin his parade by doing it my way.

Meanwhile, Jasmine and Mike were laughing the whole time and didn't do anything. The sand was the exact same way as when they started. That night, we all sat by the shore and just spent the rest of the day laughing and running into the water. It was perfect.

Jake, Mike, Jasmine and I are going on a hike up the mountain today. Jake is going to drive my grandmothers car to a trail that we will take. I told Mason to stay and bond with Caden; they are friends, but just not as close as they should be. Mason is practically glued to my side so you'd think they'd be best friends, but nope. Instead, Jake and him are like brothers they are inseparable.

Ever since Jake and Caden met the first time the "original" group hung out they clicked and had such a great bromance.

The only two people who can actually stand Mason for longer than three hours are Jasmine and myself; the rest he scares off. So when Jake invited all six of us for a hike, I begged Mason to hang out with Caden. His being my best friend, he did.

The trail that was pen appeared rocky and difficult to climb. But the other trails were close because of the storm that passed last night that happened around the time I went to sleep.

Everyone piled out of the mobile wen Jake pulled in between the two white lines. I went. I went around the truck and pulled out my black and red bag. Whenever I go on hikes, I'm always the prepared one. Why? My mother used to tell me, you can never be fully prepared for a run or any other activity. She always taught me to carry a bag full of helpful items in case of an emergency.

I packed two water bottles for hydration; a couple granola bars incase some people get hungry; a first aid kit; a spray bottle to cool down; some headphone for distraction; and a cell phone. The others only bought a water bottle filled up with ice and their cell phones.

"Where's the trail?" Mike asked.

"What do I look like? A map?" I asked laughing.

"Yep," he smiled and walked by, making sure to hit my shoulder.

"How can you date him?" I teased, asking Jasmine.

"I ask myself that question everyday of my life," she joked and ran over to her lover.

"There're a cute pair," Jake stated, walking by my side.

"They really are," I replied.

"You kind of do look like a map," he laughed, running ahead.

"And I thought he were friends," I responded, catching up to the crew.

"Who gave you that idea?"

"Guys! Here's a map," Jasmine called.

"We need to be on Trail B," Mike explained, pointing to the line that we'll soon be walking on. "Well, we're here now and we have to turn left at the next stop to get to  the place we need to be," he added.