Thirteen

When I closed the door, Bucky walked up with a sandwich in hand, "So who was at the-" he cut himself off when he saw the four flags in my hand.

"Steve..." he said quietly, walking over and hugged me tightly.

I broke. "There was an IED..." I tried to tell him.

Bucky shushed me. "It's okay Steve,".

I could hear my phone ringing distantly in the kitchen, we both ignored it.

Bucky's phone rang after mine did, his was in my room. We ignored it too.

Bucky brought me to the couch, taking the flags from me and putting them onto the coffee table, one beside the other.

Then, let me curl up into his shoulder and cry.
.
.
.
BUCKY POV

Steve fell asleep after about ten minutes of his sobbing,

I continued to run my hand through his hair as I looked at the four, neatly folded flags on the table.

Steve was close to them and he'd talked to them whenever they were available, he'd even gone to help them with a few missions.

As I thought about this, I heard someone open the front foor about ten minutes after Steve'd fallen asleep.

"Bucky?" I heard Clint call.

I turned my head in his direction. "What?" I asked him softly, still running my hand through Steve's hair.

His head was in my lap. "Neither of you picked up the phone, they sent me to ask why," Clint said as he walked closer. He seemed to only then see the flags. "Are those-?"

I cut off his question, "We found out this morning, Steve said there was an IED," I told him.

I heard Clint get his phone out of his pocket, he was probably texting the team.

"Didn't they have the dog to detect those?" he asked.

I nodded my head, "I don't know the full story, leave Steve alone about it. They were close," I told him.

Silence filled the room after that.