Eternal War

A/N: Merrrryyy Chwuehue!! ^0^/ Hehe. As I promised, more updates! And yes, its a double update. Wheeee. Christmas special will be about a day late ;-; apologies!

_________________________

An hour into the Box, Iolani Tori was lost again. The sun had cut above the horizon, bright and disgusting, casting its light upon that which consisted of shadows only. Now, shadows remained still—fixed in time, lasting primarily in his worldview that was only just beginning to cloud.

The wind was a block of ice that hurled into the side of his face, leaving him frozen and bruised despite the ugly rays of sunshine that insisted on blinding him even in the shade.

Io was in constant battle with everything in the world and that naturally included himself. He could afford to raise his castle walls and take to arms against the battle of sorrow that he knew could not be won, resulting in wave after wave of the enemy that would soon drown and destroy. But even in times like these, the stubborn sparrow could not seem to forget what it meant to be human.

While grief and sadness seemed—to many—the enemies of their fort, Io regarded them as visitors. Travellers from across the world who'd come to seek shelter from the rain, a warm meal to fill their tummies. These travelers, he would accept and attempt to understand; questioning their whereabouts and origins, their essence and motives.

Perhaps it was precisely this that made him feel as though the world was in flames.

Because Iolani had no filter for sorrow, took no arms against it and held no resistance against such an emotion, he felt it to an extent so great that on ordinary circumstances would destroy every other human being who remained oblivious to their existence.

What Io knew, however, was that the battle was not going to end.

It would be eternal,

Until his death.

__________________________

I'm sorry dear, voiced Lyra with a disappointed chirp. I'm exhausted from scouting the area. Plus, we barely had any rest since last night. The diurnal perched on Io's shoulder for a quick rest, wishing that Luna was here to help.

It's okay, hoped Io. As long as we...as long as we keep going Southwards, we're bound to see the trail that I left. From there, we should be able to find Luka. He'd definitely be searching for the next shell—he probably wouldn't even have thought that I'd somehow run out.

The past two hours had featured the pair mindlessly going about, running into another hen (chickens were very common, since all prey were expected to enrol in the current Season games) and a pigeon who was apparently guiding the way. The latter was however, in truth, fairly lost.

Io, despite having the world upon his shoulders, went out of his way to direct them towards the way he'd come from, doing his best to convey the message with confusing hand gestures and finger-pointing. He felt additionally tired after doing so, promising himself that nothing else would make him stop his feet until he found his eagle friend—a promise he'd soon break.