Aged Youth

Vaughn was eleven years old when he first met his step-brother Viktor and it was no surprise that the former had taken an immediate liking to the seventeen-year old then. They were alike in many ways, preferring the quiet happiness that many other children their age had found little interest in.

"Jae," was what he used to call his step-brother, an affectionate version of his given name. He was quite the opposite of the vulture's biological brother—a charismatic young man studying at Flight School and according to himself, well sought after by many during the mating season. "Jae, what are we making today?"

"Seafood pancake," Jae-min produced a batter mix and pushed a stool beside the kitchen counter so that Vaughn could stand on it. "You like that, right?"

The younger one had always been rather reluctant in showing his emotions—whether or not they were affectionate. "Well...as long as it's not spicy."

"I know, I know," His step-brother handed him a whisk and a mixing bowl. "But you should try some of mother's Kimchi. It's good."

"No!" Vaughn made a face—easily read, really—as he watched Jae-min cut up the spring onions. "It's so red. I hate spicy things."

"Just a bit. A little bit," he emphasized, adding an estimated amount of milk to the pre-mix. "Here, mix this." Vaughn nodded obediently, taking the whisk and doing as told.

"When should I stop?"

"I'll tell you when."

"Okay," he piped happily, always glad to spend some time with Jae-min. It was as though he had a brother.

A real one.

"Is your dad going to marry my mom?" Vaughn asked after a while, amidst the rhythm of a knife.

Jae-min laughed, producing a frying pan which he placed over the electric stove. "Guess so. They've been going out for some time, after all."

"Are you okay with that?" He added, glancing at the eleven-year old. "Do you like my father?"

The vulture considered the question, hands coming to a stop partly due to his inability to multitask. He didn't know what it was like to have a father. Surely, the question wasn't the one for him to answer. After all, what could he expect of a father when he never had one?

"I don't know," Vaughn replied honestly, resuming his task at hand.

"But I like you, so I guess I like your father," he continued disarmingly, and it was this that threw the other completely off-guard. "It would be nice to have you around."

What Vaughn really meant was that he would like to have a brother. Not to replace the one who was away, no—but to be the one who was never there.

It seemed to him a complex thought to express in words, so he chose the easier route. Indeed, it would be nice to have Jae-min around all the time. He wouldn't have to spend his days alone.

"I...might not be around all the time though," Jae-min reminded with a smile to mask the pain that he believed children like Vaughn should not see. "I have to go to school." Vaughn responded by saying that he, too, would go to school as well and that two years was all he needed to be ready. Two years.